Optical through headphone jack
Aug 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cheeznuklz

Head-Fier
Good evening!

I ordered an appropriate optical cable and adapter in attempt to stop the usb downsampling of my Mav-D1.  My source is an ASUS G60VX laptop.  The S/PDIF out is also the headphone out.  When I plug my cable+adapter into this jack there is no light and no device recognition in audio devices.  My Realtek audio driver is up to date.  I have no experience with S/PDIF outputs and the various internet searches I've done have left me clueless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Right click your volume, Click playback device, then default "Realtek Digital Output"

I tried this earlier, and again after your recommendation.  Unfortunately I'm getting no sound through the D1.  I wish I could provide more trouble-shooting information, but this is my only optical source, only optical cable and only amp.  Could it be that there's a separate driver for the optical port that I'm missing?

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 12
After some further research it seems that Realtek is the only audio driver I should need.  I suspect the problem is in the hardware, my computer shows that a signal is being output through the 'Realtek Digital Output'.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
x2 on this. 
I just took a look at ASUS UK's product page for this laptop, and it seems there are 2x headphone jacks, but only 1 of them has S/PDIF.
http://uk.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G60Vx/#specifications

My laptop is an older model of that series (came with vista installed) and only has the one headphone jack with the lettering S/PDIF underneath it.  Just in case I tested every 3.5mm jack on the bugger; none of them make so much as a peep.  In hindsight the NFB-12 may have been a better choice.  Is there a reasonably priced USB->toslink converter that doesn't down-sample?

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
My laptop is an older model of that series (came with vista installed) and only has the one headphone jack with the lettering S/PDIF underneath it.  Just in case I tested every 3.5mm jack on the bugger; none of them make so much as a peep.  In hindsight the NFB-12 may have been a better choice.  Is there a reasonably priced USB->toslink converter that doesn't down-sample?

I don't know it's specific capabilities, but the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro is something like $25 and converts usb->optical. I use it to feed my iBasso D10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back