optical output?
Jul 28, 2004 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
my yamaha cd player has an digital optical output on the rear. Can this be used to get better audio quality for headphones and a separate amp. Are there any amps that can convert the dig. output to analog?

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
Can this be used to get better audio quality for headphones and a separate amp.

Yes, you can either get external DAC and headphone amp or get a headphone amp with built-in DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
Are there any amps that can convert the dig. output to analog?

Yes, Grace 901 is one of them. http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0010350901

Jul 28, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 7
You can also look at the offerings from AOS Electronics. They have all-in-one amplifiers and DACs as well as seperate DACs if you already have an amp. I don't know how they compare to the Grace except that they are a bit cheaper.

Jul 28, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 7
the audio-technica AT-DHA3000 headphone amp only has digital inputs. of course, at over $3000 it is most likely over anyone's budget.

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 7
with the cost of dac amps I wonder if money would be better spent on good headphone amp and a pair of rs1 or other top end headphones. My current favorite is the beyer dt880 by no means the ultimate.
How many headfiers have gone the route of separate dac etc.
I'd love to hear your evaluations.
Are most optical outputs of similar quality? If not then a source uprgrade would be necessary.

Jul 28, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Or if you're feeling like really simplifying things (and dropping a gob of money), you could get the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 headphones, which take an optical input directly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back