Optical out problem with Samsung T V and Modi 2 UBER
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blmcycle

Head-Fier
I have had a Modi 2 Uber for a few months and have always used it with USB and coax with fine results.  I got a new Samsung TV with optical out.  I hooked up the Modi (and amp) to the new TV and got a loud electronic fluttering sound - no TV audio signal at all.  I made sure the TV was set to optical out.  I then plugged the optical cable into the optical outlet on the cable box - same bad result.  I also tried the optical cable with the Modi out of a DVD player/recorder.  Same electronic noise.  The TV has an HDMI cable from box.

Since the Modie 2 was new I have noticed a clunking inside if you gently shake or jar the Modi.  I never thought much of this since it worked fine with USB and coax.  Now I wonder if something came unconnected during shipping.

I have emailed Schiit, and I will be interested in what they say.  I also plan to buy another cable to rule out problems with the cable I have.

Any ideas?  PM me if you like.

Bruce

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 5
It sounds like one of the boards came loose inside the Modi. Hopefully you will hear back from Schiit and see if this is a known issue or not. Have you tried another optical cable?

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the input.  I plan on getting another cable this weekend.  I did hear back from Schiit and they said I need to make sure the outputs are set on 2 channel PCM - not surround.  Schiit did not respond to the issue of something  being loose inside the Modi.  I can see what I can check on the TV, but I don't know if the DVD player I tried the Modi with even has surround.  It may be only 2 channel.

Thanks again --- Bruce

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 5
  I think I found an answer.  I changed the sound setting on the TV from HDMI Bitstream to HDMI PCM, and the optical out with the Modi 2 uber now works.

Bruce

Sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back