optical out on new Sony atrac PCDPs...
Feb 19, 2004 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rumz

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know how the optical out on the new series of Sony mp3 / Atrac3Plus PCDPs (such as the D-NE10) works? My question is whether the optical out only works on playback of regular audio cds (is it disabled when playing back Atrac3Plus or Mp3) or is it enabled regardless?

Any info or pointers on where to go to find out would be great-- thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 3
I want to know this as well. Also, do these new players permit a redbook cd to be transfered to the minidiscs via the optical out? Best yet...will they work with the new 1 gig units?

Feb 19, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 3
Zanth--

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to use a redbook audio cd in one of these CD units to copy to MiniDisc as you can with current MD recorders and PCDPs with optical out. Now, whether the new generation of MD (Hi-MD - the 1 gig units you mentioned) will have any kind of restriction with regards to optical copies of redbook audio CDs, that remains to be seen... I would be really put off if that turned out to be the case, though I bet that it won't be a problem.

My soul reason for wondering about this issue is just to know whether I would have optical out on this CD player to play it through an amp's optical digital input-- to really give Sony's Atrac3Plus a test. I can't see myself wanting to record MDs from Mp3/atrac CDs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back