Optical or Firewire?
Aug 8, 2006 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

zhefei

New Head-Fier
I see a macbook or macbook pro in my near future, and I'm looking for a DAC. Would either firewire or optical out be a better choice? FW seems more flexible, with multiple input/outputs (I have my eye on the m-audio products) but optical seems to make for a cleaner setup, with a dedicated DAC. Anything else I should consider?

I have an Echo Indigo now, but PCMCIA is on its way out.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhefei
I see a macbook or macbook pro in my near future, and I'm looking for a DAC. Would either firewire or optical out be a better choice? FW seems more flexible, with multiple input/outputs (I have my eye on the m-audio products) but optical seems to make for a cleaner setup, with a dedicated DAC. Anything else I should consider?

I have an Echo Indigo now, but PCMCIA is on its way out.

I suspect, but do not know for certain, that the optical out would sound better, all other things being equal. However, I do know for certain that you will have many, many more DACs to choose from with optical inputs than firewire inputs.

That said, M-Audio makes some nice stuff and until somebody can actually test drive their new firewire unit, it's guesswork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back