Optical/digital out the equalizer of CDP quality?
Jul 15, 2005 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
Not too long ago, I thought analog line-out was the end-all, be-all of the output for my portable setup. And then I read about something called a DAC, and I discovered optical out.

My question is this. Since digital out being what it is, shouldn't all digital out, regardless of the player, provide the same bits, presuming the CDP read the disc correctly? So, in the same train of thought, if the CDP's optical out is used to connect to the rest of the system, shouldn't the sound be the same regardless of the player, whether it be a $100-300 CDP/DAP or $10000 CDP?

With my limited understanding, I'm sure I'm simplifying things quite a bit, so anyone care to illuminate me?

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 4
This is a tough one - simple on the surface, but lots of undercurrents and ripitides. I can understand why no responses yet.

I am an engineer by training and education, so my early and first impulse would have been to agree with your premse that bits are bits, and it shouldn't matter a whit where they (the 1's and 0's) originate from. Ah, but my experience has shown differently - it does matter. There is this whole time domain thing called jitter, which I am not informed enough to discuss, but my ears tell me it's real.

As proof, I offer my simple test of comparing a Sony D-555 pcdp with optical out to a pair of serious (if aged) transport/dac combos. Specifically the Micromega T-Drive/T-Dac and the Proceed DCC/DAP. Both of those combo's are ancient by internet dating standards (10 yerars old), but either can stand up to today's oversampling/upsampling/trendy design brethren by virtue of their exquisite design, impeccable build quality, and timeless sonics.

Try this: take an optical out from a pcdp or computer sound card into dac of choice (I used the above mentioned Micromega or Proceed Dacs), then to a really good headphone or speaker amp, then on to trransducer of choice (cans or speakers), and see if you can hear a difference.

I emphatically did - the better transport (Micromega T-Drive or Proceed CDD trounced my Chaintech 710 or D-E555), but your (or others) mmv.

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the explanation and your honesty. Even if you provided the technical rationale on why the difference is real, the information would probably go over my head. I'll take it on faith, for now anyways
tongue.gif
, that the sound difference exists, and try out a comparison between my Chaintech and iRiver H140 (ordered today) once I buy a Micro DAC (hope to get one later this month when Tyll rolls into Seattle... I wonder if he sells gear at the meets).

EDIT: Received PM from Tyll. Tyll does not sell gear on the Headroom tour. It's purely for trying stuff out.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
...shouldn't all digital out, regardless of the player, provide the same bits, presuming the CDP read the disc correctly? So, in the same train of thought, if the CDP's optical out is used to connect to the rest of the system, shouldn't the sound be the same regardless of the player, whether it be a $100-300 CDP/DAP or $10000 CDP?

No, there is this thing called "jitter". It's the timing of the ones and the zeros coming out of the "transport".

Unfortunately, this is one of the easiest things to get right. Why is it unfortunate? Because it gives the naysayers the ability to come up with a really good, really cheap transport that could provide really low jitter (especially with modern technology), and say that "transport doesn't matter". It probably matters the least of everything else. For people searching for that "last little bit" to get right/tweak/spend more money on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back