Optical --> Coaxial Conversion. Any noticeable signal loss?
Dec 17, 2008 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kurotetsu

Head-Fier
Right now I'm running a TOSlink optical cable from my sound card to my DAC. However, the connection at both ends feels very flimsy to me and I'd like something more secure (I'd also like to use the TOSlink port for a console). Switching to coaxial input would solve this I think, but I'm worried that the necessary conversion would incur some measure of signal loss.

For only $9.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Optical Toslink to Coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio Converter | Toslink Switch / Converter

That's what I'm looking to get.

So is there signal loss to worry about? Or is it so minute so as to be unnoticeable?

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 5
The audibility of the degradation in sound quality due to optical depends on your system quality and resolution.

Optical conversions add jitter to the signal, not usually data errors.

Jitter is the inaccuracy in the timing of the digital signal. It is kind of like uneven intervals between "ticks" on a clock.

accurate D/A conversion requires:

1) accurate data
2) accurate timing (low jitter)

Using a glass toslink cable will improve the situation, but the best solution is to avoid Toslink altogether.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The audibility of the degradation in sound quality due to optical depends on your system quality and resolution.

Optical conversions add jitter to the signal, not usually data errors.

Jitter is the inaccuracy in the timing of the digital signal. It is kind of like uneven intervals between "ticks" on a clock.

accurate D/A conversion requires:

1) accurate data
2) accurate timing (low jitter)

Using a glass toslink cable will improve the situation, but the best solution is to avoid Toslink altogether.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

What are the consequences of jitter in terms of what you hear?

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the consequences of jitter in terms of what you hear?

Removing jitter is like cleaning the film from a window. Improves everything, better clarity, focus.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, the connection at both ends feels very flimsy to me and I'd like something more secure

I have the same problem when I connect my MBP to Z5500s - the port at the back of the Z5500s is loose. I solved the problem by taping the optical cable to my desk - that way the weight of the cable is not on the jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back