Optical-cable with soundcard or USB...
Oct 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ozer

100+ Head-Fier
I just wondering if it's best to use a optical cable from my soundcard to a DAC or to use USB-cable ?? I have a Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard... I don't really like USB.... But if I use optical, will my soundcard affect anything on the sound ?? I mean in a bad way.... It's not a bad card...

Is there any noticable difference between 96kHz and 192kHz ? Cause my soundcard only output 96kHz (I think..) or does that not make any difference if you only play music with 44kHz ??

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Optical out passes the signal straight through the card, more or less, to an external DAC. This disables EQ, Crystalizer, etc., which you may or may not use anyway. You can still take advantage of EAX in games, as I noticed when trying it. The sound card shouldn't affect anything negatively, but you'll be dependent on whatever is decoding the signal externally for the bulk of the sound quality.

I agree with Ford2, I've never noticed a difference in 96/192, and if your main listening comes from 44kHz anyway the 96kHz should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back