Optical cable vs copper cable vs silver cable
May 11, 2015 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ThucHo1996

New Head-Fier
I have a DX90 and my new SR-71A (to drive my HD600) will arrive in a few days. Thus, I am searching a suitable shot 3.5mm cable to connect the DX90 to the SR-71A. I' ve heard that different materials can make sound change a little bit. However, I am not sure if this idea (or even myth) is true. The DX90 gives airy sound and somehow a little bit brighter than what I need. Some people say that silver cable makes sound brighter than copper cable does. So what about optical cable? Can anyone give me some suggestions?

May 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Optical is only for digital connections so it is not an option.

Silver is more conductive than copper, but for a DAC to amp interconnect that doesn't matter at all. The capacitance is more important. I don't know if there is any significant difference in capacitance between a copper or silver cable. When people discuss the benefits of silver over copper I would think they are mostly talking about amp to speaker/headphone connections. You could quite easily argue that it is not worth the extra cost. For a DAC to amp connection I think the benefit would be even less.

May 16, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 5
Here's another example with optical

http://www.weiss.ch/products/chiron

CHIRON-Analog1
CHIRON-Analog2
CHIRON-Speaker1

Some cables such as Neotech GIS-T1000 or Ted Audio actually made some cables with liquid metal.

May 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 5
Here's another example with optical

http://www.weiss.ch/products/chiron

CHIRON-Analog1
CHIRON-Analog2
CHIRON-Speaker1

[rule]
Some cables such as Neotech GIS-T1000 or Ted Audio actually made some cables with liquid metal.

From what I can tell, they are only using optical on their digital cables. Their analog cables are regular metallic cables.

And from their website:

Given the choice, we recommend to use balanced interconnects. Balanced transmissions have the advantage that ground loops (hum problems) can be avoided.

For digital signals there is the choice to use an optical interconnect. The advantages of an optical compared to an electrical connection are:

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back