oppo USB input + USB drive for audio playback incl HDCD decode?
Aug 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

emmodad

100+ Head-Fier
recognizing the limitations of using an external hard drive with the USB input of Oppo players (FAT / FAT32 formatting; somewhat limited number of files recognized), I'm curious: can anyone share experiences using the Oppo USB input for playback of disk-based audio files? Specific interest here is hard disks or SSDs, not just small-capacity thumb drives.

What format of digital audio files are you using?

Are you successfully using uncompressed wav or aiff?

if sourced with uncompressed files as wav or aiff, it would seem that this could be a path for hardware-based HDCD decoding for disk-based playback... recalling that the 980H HDMI output carries 24/88.2 decoded HDCD (which can be legally extracted), this could be a low-cost option to feed decoded HDCD to your DAC of choice.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 6
If the Oppo 980H digitally outputs a decoded HDCD signal, it would be the only player of its kind (besides the emulation in Windows Media Player). It will be interesting to hear if anyone has done this test.

Here's a question, though. How are you making the HDCD WAVs? If you're using hdcd.exe, the files are 24-bit, not 20-bit, and the transient filter information will not decoded (basically, it's not a 100% lossless rip). If you already have the WAV files, they're no different from any other 24-bit file, therefore the Oppo's HDCD decoding capabilities are not needed and the files could be played back on any DVD player with 24-bit WAV support.

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Oppo 980H digitally outputs a decoded HDCD signal, it would be the only player of its kind (besides the emulation in Windows Media Player).

0/ oppo 980H: issue is not "if"; it certainly does. It is definitely possible to strip HDCD-decoded 20/44.1 audio from HDMI and feed to digital destinations. Oppo have confirmed that 983 also provides decoded HDCD via HDMI.

1/ according to Cary, the Cary 306 SACD Pro also outputs decoded HDCD (on standard digital outputs), both from CDs and from digital inputs.

2/ I have been told (reliable source, but I have absolutely no confirmation) that "a few other Chinese-made disc players" which use standard Mediatek single-chip decoders (ie catalog product, not the custom Oppo chips) will also output decoded HDCD via HDMI.

3/ There are at least five aftermarket products worldwide which are boards that legally enable digital output(s) to stock CD / SACD / DVD-A players by tapping a buffered digital signal after all media retrieval / error correction / decoding but before the player's internal D/A. These inherently allow a decoded HDCD signal (ie Oppo, Denon, other HDCD-capable players) to be passed to an external D/A.

Quote:

Here's a question, though. How are you making the HDCD WAVs? If you're using hdcd.exe, the files are 24-bit, not 20-bit, and the transient filter information will not decoded (basically, it's not a 100% lossless rip). If you already have the WAV files, they're no different from any other 24-bit file, therefore the Oppo's HDCD decoding capabilities are not needed and the files could be played back on any DVD player with 24-bit WAV support.

perhaps I was unclear: intended was to suggest taking undecoded, uncompressed 16-bit info from CDs, and presenting via USB input to Oppo.

the point is however rendered moot, as Oppo has now informed me that the USB input supports only compressed audio formats (mp3, wma, ogg) hence there is no provision for USB input decoding of HDCD. It must be sourced from CD in the player.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Ah, too bad about the USB issue, but thanks for the clarifications.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you remember offhand which models of players could pass decoded HDCD over digital outputs besides the Oppo? Also, are they HDMI-only?

It gets a little confusing in my mind because there are some solutions where the undecoded signal is passed via HDMI and decoded in a HDCD-capable receiver. I know that Denon has done this before.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Do you remember offhand which models of players could pass decoded HDCD over digital outputs besides the Oppo? Also, are they HDMI-only?

please re-read above (and other HDCD / oppo threads here on head-fi): oppo does not pass decoded HDCD on standard digital outputs, only via HDMI at 20/44.1

please re-read 0, 1, & 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back