OPPO UDP-205 2x ES9038PRO 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player & DAC
Feb 14, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #61 of 151
Its probably unfair to say at the moment as the 205 is still running in imho but I think it is a pretty decent offering as a whole at its price point especially if you want to watch 4K uhd need a universal disc spinner that also does dsd sounds good to boot and combined with a headphone out that will drive picky headphones like the HD800. As a competent, high build quality one box solution there is a lot to like.

The cravat here is the 205 would probably easily fill many peoples requirement unless they have lived with a good stand alone dac say in say the £1000 + bracket then you would be more aware of the subtleties missing in the performance of the 205s dac. It looks like these areas can be somewhat addressed by some of the mods which for the most part do not look to complicated I will probably install the Linear Power Module upgrade from Oppomod and do the film caps on the audio output side myself (when I feel brave) however this will most likely be after the warranty has expired.

The only mod I have planned at the moment is transplanting a pair of Cast Duelunds that are on their way into my phono stage...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #62 of 151
Its probably unfair to say at the moment as the 205 is still running in imho but I think it is a pretty decent offering as a whole at its price point especially if you want to watch 4K uhd need a universal disc spinner that also does dsd sounds good to boot and combined with a headphone out that will drive picky headphones like the HD800. As a competent, high build quality one box solution there is a lot to like.

The cravat here is the 205 would probably easily fill many peoples requirement unless they have lived with a good stand alone dac say in say the £1000 + bracket then you would be more aware of the subtleties missing in the performance of the 205s dac. It looks like these areas can be somewhat addressed by some of the mods which for the most part do not look to complicated I will probably install the Linear Power Module upgrade from Oppomod and do the film caps on the audio output side myself (when I feel brave) however this will most likely be after the warranty has expired.

The only mod I have planned at the moment is transplanting a pair of Cast Duelunds that are on their way into my phono stage...
Why would someone pick this player if the person don't plan to use it with 4K disc? This is exactly the product I want, all in one from a big company with good support and priced well. Many people can't have speaker setup due living in a condo or just don't want to bother others in the house, I'm the latter. This is the best option to watch movies with headphones with their lossless audio tracks, I'm very surprised that we don't have products like this from more companies, I think there are enough headphone movie watcher out there.
Also good to connect the TV via optical (HDMI ARC is meh as a tech, not the players fault) so you can enjoy Streaming audio too

As for music listening, this is as far I would go. I listen many old music which are badly mastered so anything better just bring out all the issues.
I've read really good things about the 205, some says that it make even Spotify quality into almost CD quality. Somebody mentioned in this thread too that he liked Apple iTunes quality too.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #63 of 151
Exactly and I agree fully its a really great option for many of us. I am also in the same boat and can see the benefit of compromising a little on the sonics front to free up space and have a great one box solution that has class leading 4k uhd playback and very good sound even if not quiet at the level I am used to. I have kids which are getting noisy as kids are so getting time to sit down quietly and appreciate those finer details is somewhat limited but we all can enjoy watch a movie along with very decent audio, doing away with lots of hot valves and high voltage bits of kit for the time being.

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #64 of 151
I already have a GUSTARD X20-pro that uses a pair of ES9028Pro. So I was thinking to just buy a UDP-203 as CD transport and use the X20pro as DAC. But I also consider the 7-ch capacity of UDP205. Does anyone have a hands-on experience to compare the sonic quality between ES9028Pro and 9038 on 2-chs? Thanks!

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #65 of 151
I have enjoyed both stereo and multi-channel music from the 205. Note that the stereo analog output can be set to LF and RF to replace those channels in a 7.1 or 5.1 system. This allows for both DACs to operate. I do not do that however since I have separate preamps for stereo and multi-channel. It sounds great no matter how you have it hooked up with one exception, multi-channel from a DLNA server is not gapless, and cannot be made gapless; thus, for me, Network connection is useless, unless I learn how to use an alternative server.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #66 of 151
I think I remember seeing some discussion on configuring gapless playback on the oppo 205 thread on the AVS forum poster called bob seemed very knowledgeable about all things oppo 205

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #67 of 151
I think I remember seeing some discussion on configuring gapless playback on the oppo 205 thread on the AVS forum poster called bob seemed very knowledgeable about all things oppo 205
Yes you did. A guy named Bob advised me that the OPPO would do gapless on some sort of server, but not on a DLNA type. I'm too ignorant to understand how to download such a server onto my computer. But, at any rate, since the usb port on the front of the OPPO will do gapless multi-channel, I can simply download multi-channel to a thumb drive and enjoy. For stereo, I can use the usb DAC.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #69 of 151
great new: Oppo just released new firmware for 205, now 205 can play dsd files over network!
Have you tried DSD over network? I have the latest firmware too and yet I cannot get the OPPO to play DSD from Network connection. Discoveries so far: OPPO does not do gapless from Network DLNA server. Using usb DAC connection I can play 24/192 AIFF and ALAC files. Using front USB port I can play flac multi-cannel with gapless playback.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #70 of 151
Have you tried DSD over network? I have the latest firmware too and yet I cannot get the OPPO to play DSD from Network connection. Discoveries so far: OPPO does not do gapless from Network DLNA server. Using usb DAC connection I can play 24/192 AIFF and ALAC files. Using front USB port I can play flac multi-cannel with gapless playback.
Yes, oppo now added "smb" network tag,you need to login to your network, drill down
Directories under the your user directory and go to where your dac files reside.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #71 of 151
For anyone interested, I have a review up on the ModWright upgraded Oppo 205. See my signature for the link.

I'm generally impressed with the stock 205 as-is. For the price, it's probably the best current player out there - if there's a better option, I haven't discovered it yet (and I've tried most of 'em). If we consider DACs rather than disc-based units, other options come in to play, though the 205 isn't blown away by any means.

Modding the 205 brings it up to an entirely higher level altogether. I tend to think Oppo does an excellent job on the digital aspect but falls short on the analog output stage, so there's lots of potential for growth there.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #73 of 151
It's all listed on their page, check out my review as well where I describe it in depth.

Essentially an entire new analog stage with four very nice Lundahl transformers, a pair of 6922 valves, new (custom) caps and resistors all over the place, power supply upgrades to the internal circuit, and a massive separate outboard power supply driving the new analog section. Basically they keep the video sections as well as the digital audio parts, and redo most everything else. In USD it is $2500 plus you send them a player, not sure what that works out to be in CAD pricing.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #74 of 151
Are you certain the mod includes an upgraded external power supply? I know the 105 did. I didn't see any mention of a new external power supply when I was looking into it last year.

Also, am I correct in thinking that this mod is only worthwhile to those who intend to use the unit for its stereo analog out? In other words, this mod is for people who intend to use its internal dac?

Also, 2500USD, plus the cost of the unit works out to be about 4500 after taxes and conversion rate. Quite an expensive proposition, though I already have a dac so getting this mod would be pointless for me I think. Actually the whole unit itself might be pointless for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back