OPPO UDP-205 2x ES9038PRO 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player & DAC
Apr 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 151

PitBul34

100+ Head-Fier
The new UDP-205 media-monster coming soon!

Special Features of the UDP-205
BEST-IN-CLASS AUDIO PERFORMANCE

Dual SABRE PRO DACs
OPPO UDP-205 is equipped with two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs for both stereo and 7.1 channel analog audio.

USB DAC and Coaxial/Optical Inputs
An asynchronous USB DAC input supports sample rates up to 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512. For additional convenience and flexibility, the UDP-205 can convert digital signals from cable and satellite boxes, televisions, video game consoles and other digital transports with coaxial and optical digital outputs to analog.

HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction
The UDP-205 features a high-stability, high-precision HDMI clock and a special HDMI audio jitter reduction circuit.

Dedicated Stereo Output
In addition to the 7.1-channel surround audio output, the UDP-205 has a stereo audio output powered by a dedicated ES9038PRO DAC chip and specially designed buffer and driver stages. The stereo output offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors.

7.1-Channel Analog Output
Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The UDP-205 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience thanks to its second ES9038PRO DAC chip.

Headphone Amplifier
For a more intimate listening experience, a pair of headphones can be connected directly to the UDP-205’s built-in headphone amplifiers. The headphone amplifier is connected directly to the ESS SABRE PRO DAC and offers a unique performance advantage over standalone headphone amplifiers.

4K Ultra HD Video
The UDP-205 supports the playback of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.

High Dynamic Range
The UDP-205 supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut.

Dolby Vision Upgradeable
Leveraging hardware designed to support Dolby Vision, customers can expect a firmware update in 2017 that brings Dolby Vision support to the player.

Reference Quality Video
The UDP-205 combines the latest technology with OPPO's many years of experience in delivering high quality video and audio.

High Precision Disc Loader
A high-precision, well-balanced laser optical disc loader ensures smooth and reliable playback of all types of disc media.

Exceptional Build Quality
With its a brushed aluminum front panel, a rigid steel chassis and gold plated connectors, the UDP-205 exemplifies OPPO's attention to quality and details.

Lossless Audio Decoding
The UDP-205’s video performance and universal compatibility is further complemented by its support of lossless high resolution audio. The player decodes audio file formats such as AIFF, WAV, ALAC, APE and FLAC. It also directly plays Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) audio files in stereo or multi-channel.

Advanced Audio Formats
With internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and bitstream output for object-based immersive audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, the UDP-205 delivers great sound for both movie soundtracks and music.

High Performance Parts
The UDP-205 is designed and built with high quality components that are intended for reaching the level of performance in both audio and video.

Dual HDMI Outputs
The player features two HDMI outputs – an HDMI 2.0 port for connecting to the latest UHD TVs, projectors and A/V receivers, and an HDMI 1.4 audio port for connecting to older A/V receivers.

HDMI 2.0 Input
An HDMI 2.0 input port that supports UHD resolution is available for users to connect an external streaming device.

Easy Integration
Integration-friendly features such as RS-232 control, back panel IR sensor and third-party IP control make the UDP-205 a great choice for any home theater system. Coaxial and optical digital audio outputs provides backward compatibility with legacy audio components.

Toroidal Power Supply
A toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic fields over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The UDP-205 has separate power supplies for digital and analog circuitry to eliminate virtually all harmful interference.

Reinforced Chassis Structure
The UDP-205 features a brushed aluminum front panel and a metal chassis that continues the tradition of excellent workmanship found in previous generations of OPPO universal players.

Fanless Passive Cooling
The internal layout and chassis design promote healthy air flow so critical components can be naturally cooled.

What may I say.. OPPO guys are genious!

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 151
Can we assume that AirPlay is supported? For example, a lot of people will want to be able to redirect TIDAL / Spotify / Pandora from their iPads to the 205.

I support Oppo's decision to not include native support for Streaming apps because that was always going to be a losing game in terms of ongoing maintenance but there will be a massive backlash if we can't easily play these apps via the 205.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 151
Indeed the lack of any mention of support for native Streaming apps in the published specifications confirms what you were told. I just need it to support AirPlay - if built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi implies that then I will be happy.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 151
Question sent to Oppo Digital (USA):
Regarding the UDP-205. Does it support AirPlay/DLNA? Given the lack of native Streaming app support (which I applaud) and associated maintenance overhead - it would be nice to be able to cast TIDAL and Spotify to the unit like I currently do with my existing DAC.

Answer:
The player will support DLNA DMP and DMR, but the player will not support AirPlay. The ability to support streaming services are being investigated, but at this time we do not know when we will be able to support streaming services through a future firmware release.

From past experience, that kind of answer means that they will never support streaming services. Well, that is a show-stopper for me unless someone can suggest how I would be able to "cast" Spotify etc to the UDP-205. Buying a new device (if it's not too expensive) is not out of the question so long as there is no loss of sound quality.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 151

​I bought an Airport Express to get the Airplay wireless function. I do not need that function with the UDP-205. What I need is 5.1 analog output, as well as the ability to play multi-channel SACDs. I also want to be able to enjoy 4K Ultra Bllu-ray Discs; and, I want to get hi-res tunes from my iTunes library to my pre/pro. The UDP-205 will receive  hi-res via USB from computer and decode it in stereo or multi-channel and output the tunes to my pre/pro. That's all that I want and have been waiting for. The price seems right and as I undestand it OPPO is accepting a limited number of orders now for delivery of product at the end of this month. I will wait a bit, allowing these early adapters/testers to help get the bugs out of the product before I commit.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 151
I was waiting 205 to replace my cd-player (Copland 822) and br-player (Panasonic BDT700) but lack of streaming apps and wifi/airplay 
compared to price (1799€ over here in Finland
blink.gif
 ) just doesn't sound acceptable. I'd rather have player that feed amps and tv having these 
apps instead of tv feeding amp.

Has anyone seen reviews of 205's audio quality (as a cd-player) ?

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 151
The only con for me is it doesn't play ISO files.  

I want to know how much better my headphone will sound on the 205 vs. 105D.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 151
I don't think so as the 205 is not using both 9038's for music playback just one for the dedicated stereo outs. If it used both for each channel I would buy it.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 151
All,
The UDP-205s appeal with an audiophile is its high quality multi-channel analog output, which permits enjoyment of multi-channel SACDs. As far as I've seen, it is the only universal player out there today with high quality multi-channel digital to analog conversion. Other SACD players on the market today are stereo only, or only deliver DSD or PCM multi-channel via HDMI. Those players only allow multi-channel function with pre/pros equipped with HDMI audio input.

May 5, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 151
Is the built in headphone amp any good?

It is a pity Oppo refuses to be Roon Ready for such devices. Losing a fair share of business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back