OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #1,186 of 1,240
Would be interesting to know how the pm3 compares with other overear, closed portables like philips fidelio l2, senn momentum, hp50, beyer t51p...
All those are cheaper .. some much cheaper, e.g. the fildelio is ~halfprice.

I own the HP50. Chose it in direct comparison against the original Momentum, PSB M4U2, and the B&W P7 in an extensive audition, just ask my fourteen year old daughter who had to hang out in the store with me while I performed the comparison. The comparison consisted of those specific models as they were the closed back portables in the smae price range that the store carried other than the HP50's. Took my HP50's to TAVES last fall and spent more than an hour comparing my HP50's against three different prototypes of the PM-3 using my FiiO X5 and there was no comparison. Nowhere near an hour was required to determine that the performance of all three of the PM-3 prototypes were on a different level than the HP50's, and I love my HP50's. I spent some time with the HA-2, not all that impressed, and the HA-1, want one, as well.

I truly don't think it would be out of line to say that the Oppo PM-3 is probably one of the five best closed portable headphones in the $400 US range and below on the planet currently. No I haven't heard nearly all of the candidates, but who has? It's an assumption, but judging from what I heard that Sunday back in November I think it's a pretty safe assumption. Of course there will be those who disagree and they may even come on here to tell me so. That's fine, but i would suggest that such a conclusion would simply be the result of personal preference more than anything else as is my own.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #1,187 of 1,240
Would be interesting to know how the pm3 compares with other overear, closed portables like philips fidelio l2, senn momentum, hp50, beyer t51p...

Check the PM-3 impressions thread.  There are plenty of comparisons.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,188 of 1,240
Thanks for chiming in @good sound. For my part, sometime in the near future I may be able to write down impressions against the Alpha Dog. It's the only other closed back Planar in the price range $400 vs $600. There's the EL8 for another extra $100 over the Alphas, but I don't have one nor do I have the resources on hand yet to get one. 

Managed to get a bit of head-time on the HP50's a while back, but I don't want to make any comparisons from memory. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #1,189 of 1,240
  Thanks for chiming in @good sound. For my part, sometime in the near future I may be able to write down impressions against the Alpha Dog. It's the only other closed back Planar in the price range $400 vs $600. There's the EL8 for another extra $100 over the Alphas, but I don't have one nor do I have the resources on hand yet to get one. 

Managed to get a bit of head-time on the HP50's a while back, but I don't want to make any comparisons from memory. 

Those would be interesting comparisons, but if a $600 headphone is considered to be in the same price range as a $400 one then it would be only barely in my opinion, plus, and correct me if i am wrong, I don't think either the Alpha Dogs or the new Audeze's are designed primarily for portable use.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,190 of 1,240
Correct. Not really a fair comparison - it's just because I have both on hand. Both being closed back, and planar. 

The EL8 is touted to be good for portable use though - leastways, transportable, but maybe not On The Go. 

The Alpha Dogs - unless you want to be the center of attention while walking along the streets - should always stay at home or in my case, the office desk. 

I find the PM3s to be truly portable, on the go planars - currently the only one that can seriously be classed as such. And viewed from that perspective they are fantastic. IMHO. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #1,192 of 1,240
  This is in no way a fair comparison but I noticed you have the obligatory ATH M50 in your inventory. How do describe the upgrade? Just looking for a frame of reference. Cheers

biggest most easily noticeable differences are larger sound stage & less bass quantity.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #1,193 of 1,240
  This is in no way a fair comparison but I noticed you have the obligatory ATH M50 in your inventory. How do describe the upgrade? Just looking for a frame of reference. Cheers

Lol at "obligatory." Hahaha! I love the M50s. They are my 'gateway drug' into headphones. That's why they're still here.

Despite my love for the M50, there's really no comparison. Comfort, build, sound quality all go to the PM3. The only thing that the M50 has going for it is the price. 

The clamp of the M50 is greater than the PM3 and the cups get hot around the ears quite fast. The PM3s are more natural sounding - great balanced sound sig with no one frequency overwhelming the others. The V-shape of the M50 will satisfy many people, but I am confident that with time, most if not all will come to the conclusion that the PM3 is better overall. 

Is it three times better than the M50 as the price would suggest. Nah, nothing ever is in this hobby. That said, if you start with the M50, then jump to the PM3 - speaking from my own perspective of course - I think I would be very happy.  

Do note that I am using them not direct from a phone, but through either the M8 or the HA2. Haven't had the chance to drive them direct from a phone's headphone out.  

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #1,195 of 1,240

For a quick comparison id say the Hp50s have a similar sound sig and quality to my ears, id actually choose them over the pm-3 as they are better value but they are quite uncomfortable which kills them for me.
Momentums have comparable comfort and sound quality with more bass and treble but sound more congested and not as smooth.
T51ps also have a stronger bass and treble. More unbalanced sounding which can make music sound a bit strange at times. Not as comfortable for long time listening due to being on ear.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,196 of 1,240
For a quick comparison id say the Hp50s have a similar sound sig and quality to my ears, id actually choose them over the pm-3 as they are better value but they are quite uncomfortable which kills them for me.
Momentums have comparable comfort and sound quality with more bass and treble but sound more congested and not as smooth.
T51ps also have a stronger bass and treble. More unbalanced sounding which can make music sound a bit strange at times. Not as comfortable for long time listening due to being on ear.

Wow, that's exactly how I felt about all three of the cans! You just put it in better words.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,197 of 1,240

So HP50 is equal or better than PM3 in terms of the sound quality ?

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,198 of 1,240

So HP50 is equal or better than PM3 in terms of the sound quality ?

I would say it's about equal in terms of sound quality and has a similar type of sound signature. If the hp50 was more comfortable I would actually have chosen it over the pm-3 due to it being $200 cheaper.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,200 of 1,240
I would say it's about equal in terms of sound quality and has a similar type of sound signature. If the hp50 was more comfortable I would actually have chosen it over the pm-3 due to it being $200 cheaper.

Thank you chailee, PM3 is almost $300CAD more expensive in Canada than HP50. Maybe I should keep HP50,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back