OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Mar 17, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,171 of 1,240
The review makes me wonder if I didn't give the pm-3 enough time to fully settle in. I thought the soundstage was on the smaller/average size for a closed back.

I find the soundstage better than M100 and the instrument placing is also more precise IMO.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #1,172 of 1,240
Nice review....http://referencehometheater.com/review/oppo-pm-3-headphones-review/

From the review:
"The headband is well-padded and the clamping force is nearly perfect unless you’re going to listen for hours on end."

Unfortunately, I'll be returning my PM-3 due to the clamping pressure. After many tries I've only managed to wear them for about 20min max before I get a headache.

Got a reply email from Oppo indicating the force was intentional (shame as the PM-3 is truly unique and very good):

"If you are worried about clamping pressure, then you may consider the PM-2. It is open back, but it has a lot less clamping pressure as it was not designed for portable use."
  Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,173 of 1,240
Unfortunately, I'll be returning my PM-3 due to the clamping pressure. After many tries I've only managed to wear them for about 20min max before I get a headache.

Before returning it, maybe try this?
If the retail PM-3 is anything like the beta units, you can bend the metal frame of the headband to stretch outward to reduce the clamping force, like with the M-100. It's a stiffer metal though, so do so gently.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,174 of 1,240
I had the PM3's on last night from 10 PM to 2:30AM. 

I have a headache now, but it's because of lack of sleep rather than the clamping force. The LCD 2 and the HE500 both have way, way more clamping force in my experience. Head size/shape of course plays a major part in comfort, as much as the phones themselves. Everyone's experience will vary. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #1,175 of 1,240

From the review:
"The headband is well-padded and the clamping force is nearly perfect unless you’re going to listen for hours on end."

Got a reply email from Oppo indicating the force was intentional (shame as the PM-3 is truly unique and very good):

"If you are worried about clamping pressure, then you may consider the PM-2. It is open back, but it has a lot less clamping pressure as it was not designed for portable use."
  Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc. 

Thats strange. I find the PM3 so light and comfortable. Wearing them after the EL-8 was really surprising. I find the PM3 really good for a long period of time.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,176 of 1,240
You won't in about a year.

I know. For once I listened to the voice of  reason. I wont be using the PM-3 outside the house though so there's a fair chance a white version would stay fairly pristine.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,177 of 1,240
I had the PM3's on last night from 10 PM to 2:30AM. 

I have a headache now, but it's because of lack of sleep rather than the clamping force. The LCD 2 and the HE500 both have way, way more clamping force in my experience. Head size/shape of course plays a major part in comfort, as much as the phones themselves. Everyone's experience will vary. 

+1 True audiophiles need no sleep lol. Lack of sleep is underappreciated, it can add to the subjective enjoyment of the music:).

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #1,178 of 1,240
+1 True audiophiles need no sleep lol. Lack of sleep is underappreciated, it can add to the subjective enjoyment of the music:).

lack of sleep increases microdetaleee!!! heheh :D sleeepdeprivved rite now unfortunatelyy but have headfi to keep me company

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,179 of 1,240
lack of sleep increases microdetaleee!!! heheh :D sleeepdeprivved rite now unfortunatelyy but have headfi to keep me company

Sleep deprivation and head-fi can make for fine company.:D

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,180 of 1,240
Sleep deprivation and head-fi can make for fine company.
biggrin.gif

Make that sleep deprivation, a cold bottle of beer (or two), and Head-Fi make for fine company. 

@money4me247 - Lol'd at:
lack of sleep increases microdetaleee!!!

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,181 of 1,240
More on the PM3 impression side of things - the sound signature of the PM3 to me seems to be somewhere right between Exciting and Refined. Listening to them for looong hours is like having a great conversation with an intelligent, and engaging friend - who also happens to look like a supermodel. You never want the conversation to end. It's just "one more song, one more song.", then "Okay after this one then." 

It won't ring up the excitement level to 11, but then, no fatigue as well. Apologies, its waay too early for me to go into specifics. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,182 of 1,240
More on the PM3 impression side of things - the sound signature of the PM3 to me seems to be somewhere right between Exciting and Refined. Listening to them for looong hours is like having a great conversation with an intelligent, and engaging friend - who also happens to look like a supermodel. You never want the conversation to end. It's just "one more song, one more song.", then "Okay after this one then." 

It won't ring up the excitement level to 11, but then, no fatigue as well. Apologies, its waay too early for me to go into specifics. :beerchug:

Sweet the pm-3 is really tempting me, seems like the perfect little portable closed back portable planar magnetic cans.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,183 of 1,240
Yeh the pm-3 really strikes a nice balance between refined and relaxing. Theres enough going on to enjoy the musicand its laid back enough that fatigue is not an issue. Nicely balanced from top to bottom and the soundstage seems to sit in just the right spot, not too intimate and not too distant. Comfort is excellent as well and if i had to fault it anywhere id say its a little bit heavy for a portable but i can forgive that considering how well its built.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,184 of 1,240
Would be interesting to know how the pm3 compares with other overear, closed portables like philips fidelio l2, senn momentum, hp50, beyer t51p...
All those are cheaper .. some much cheaper, e.g. the fildelio is ~halfprice.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #1,185 of 1,240
Yeh the pm-3 really strikes a nice balance between refined and relaxing. Theres enough going on to enjoy the musicand its laid back enough that fatigue is not an issue. Nicely balanced from top to bottom and the soundstage seems to sit in just the right spot, not too intimate and not too distant. Comfort is excellent as well and if i had to fault it anywhere id say its a little bit heavy for a portable but i can forgive that considering how well its built.

+1. 

Wish they were about $100 cheaper though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back