OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Feb 22, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #916 of 1,240
Still on the fence. Waiting to hear impressions.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #917 of 1,240
No, I like my current headphones too much to take a chance on a pre-order.  I'm hoping to demo a set at Canjam before deciding.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #918 of 1,240
  well, not sure how much user input matters so late in the game, but I would really love to have removable earpads & a velour option. but either way, I think it's fine.

Even more important to me is simply earpad depth!!!!!! 17mm is okay, but still I think a larger earpad will greatly improve sound stage and comfort!!! The PM-3s hit every box I want in a pair of closed portable headphones & I've been so excited since their first announcement, but if the earpads are too shallow & they end up being uncomfortable... I would be soooo disappointed & probably won't be able to keep em. 17mm may work depending on how much the pads compress, but I've found that 20mm-ish deep earpads always end up extremely comfortable for everyone.

I've got Dumbo-like ears, and I've found the beta units comfortable …

Yes, my ears do not fit inside the ear pads, but unlike most supra-aural headphones that are equipped with very thin pads (Sennheiser Amperior and Beyerdynamic DT1350, both of which pinch my ears and make them hurt after thirty minutes of listening), the PM-3 has very thick and soft pads.

The bottoms of my ears are under the pads, not inside the ear cups, and yet, the plush pads of the PM-3 make a very good seal (for good bass response and isolation) and I can wear it for hours without feeling any discomfort.

Ironically, the PM-3 packs up and carries more conveniently than the Sennheiser Amperior, despite being a little larger, because they can be stored flatly - much like the Beyerdynamic DT1350 - but without the painful pinching.

I would encourage anyone with large ears to make no assumptions about possible discomfort with the PM-3 (or PM-1/PM-2).  Try them for a while and see what you think.

Mike

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #919 of 1,240
I'm a stickler for earpad size.  The PM3's pads got uncomfortable for me after 30 mins, but nothing unbearable.  I think for mobile use and/or off and on home use where they aren't used for hours at a time and where short, frequent breaks are common, they should be more than enough.  They are fairly comfortable earpads for their lack of size.  They fit like the original beats studios, but are deeper and more plush.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #920 of 1,240
Heh, I must be the odd one out. XD
I find the PM-3's earpads comfortable for me, whether it's 30 minutes or 3 hours.

The PM-3's earpad dimensions are pretty much on par with those of the V-MODA Crossfade M-100's XL earpads. The PM-3 has some cushiony material over the drivers such that they don't press really hard on the tip of your ear, unlike the M-100, which lacks that soft cushion and the hard-plastic driver cover touches the tip of my ears sometimes. As zilch0md measured, the PM-3's earpads are roughly 35mm x 60 mm x 17 mm. The M-100's XL earpads roughly measure 36.5 mm x 55.5 mm x 18 mm.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #921 of 1,240
will you guys be doing preordering?

We generally only allow for pre-orders if we know exactly when (or at least a day or two in advance) we will be getting product. So it may be possible that we have pre-orders for the PM-3 since they will be airshipped, but I can't guarantee that.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #924 of 1,240
  well, not sure how much user input matters so late in the game, but I would really love to have removable earpads & a velour option. but either way, I think it's fine.

Quote:
Earpads can really get some wear on portable headphones in my experience, would be a real shame if they weren't removable. Don't even really mind if it's a proprietary system holding them in place as long as replacements are readily available...

Hope you guys at oppo manage to come up with a solution!

I can confirm that the earpads will be replaceable, but for maintenance purposes only. It is not like the PM-1/2 where we expect people to swap in and out earpads on a regular basis.

So replacements due to wear and tear are planned.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #926 of 1,240
  I can confirm that the earpads will be replaceable, but for maintenance purposes only. It is not like the PM-1/2 where we expect people to swap in and out earpads on a regular basis.

Sounds like what I saw over a month ago, good!
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #927 of 1,240

Nice! Do you intend to offer velour pads as well? Or will the pads from PM-1/2 fit on the PM-3?

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #928 of 1,240
  Nice! Do you intend to offer velour pads as well? Or will the pads from PM-1/2 fit on the PM-3?

PM-1/2 is larger and designed with actual snap in points for installing/removing pads.  The PM-3 only offers the ability to replace the pads from a maintenance point of view.
smile.gif

Look at this image for size differences, PM-1, PM-2, PM-3 from left to right

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #929 of 1,240
At this time, no, there are no plans on releasing alternative earpads other than offering replacements for the ones that ship with the PM-3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back