OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier at RMAF
Oct 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #17 of 1,240
  Pics Pics Pics!!!!!

Looks like there are a couple of the PM-3s on stands in the pic on the first post.  Thanks Hastur !

Yokes appear different, cable is off one side only and possibly a volume control on the one connected to the HA-2.  Still seems like a full size over-ear can.

Looks like they have a SE and a balanced cable plugged into the HA-1, don't think that is going to work.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #18 of 1,240
Technically you can see the HA-2 in that first picture. Well, part of it. :p

Until I hear back from OPPO, all I will say for now is that the HA-2 is indeed a portable DAC/amp. Looking forward to sharing what I can when I can.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #20 of 1,240
The transition from PM-3 to PM-2 / PM-1 sound will be interesting.

Personally expect this will be priced closer to £500 region and going head-to-head with the HE400i

+1

And the Alpha Dogs as well.  I am impressed with the aggressive stance taken by Oppo regarding headphones.  I just didn't see this coming, but targeting the portable market just makes too much sense!

And the closed planar market.  Yikes, what a move!

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 1,240

Looks like there are a couple of the PM-3s on stands in the pic on the first post.  Thanks Hastur !

There are two PM-3s. The first is on top of the silver HA-1, and the second is on the stand at the right which is connected to the HA-2.

Yokes appear different, cable is off one side only and possibly a volume control on the one connected to the HA-2.  Still seems like a full size over-ear can.

It is a single cable connection. This improves the portability as there is less possibility of the headphone cable getting snagged and also allows for in-line volume, playback, and mic support when connected to most popular smartphones.

They are full size, over the ear. On ear would have been ideal to bring down weight and make them even more portable, but the audio was just not there.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 1,240
   I just didn't see this coming, but targeting the portable market just makes too much sense!

The PM-1/2 are already pretty portable. The main issue with them is that they are pretty expensive (compared to other more portable headphones) and are open back (so they have substantial leak).

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 1,240
  That sounds great.  PM-1 might as well have been a closed headphone due to how damped it was, and it wasn't really a portable headphone due to sound leakage.  Having a closed PM-X makes a lot of sense.  I hope it doesn't have the resonances and colorations of a closed-back that Audeze failed to fully control with their LCD-XC.

HUH?
confused.gif

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #24 of 1,240
The PM-1/2 are already pretty portable. The main issue with them is that they are pretty expensive (compared to other more portable headphones) and are open back (so they have substantial leak).

The main issue with them as a portable is that they don't isolate.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #26 of 1,240
Will any update be coming to current HA-1 owners to enable Android USB audio support through the front mobile USB port? Or are you waiting for L / Android to unify their USB audio solution? 

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 1,240
I strongly advise Oppo not to do a single sided/mandatory single ended cable for the PM-3.  Is there a 4 pole jack in the earcup there?  It is surely best to keep with the same plug format as PM-1 and PM-2, we don't need a new jack type every month.  

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #28 of 1,240
I hope the PM3 will pair well with my AK240 :) Happy times for those who want a closed back HP. Z7, alphdog prime, pm3 ...

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #29 of 1,240
what's the word on expected pricing for the PM-3??? This actually looks really appealing as there are currently no true portable orthodynamic headphones. The only closed back orthos I am aware of are the super pricey open LCD-XC and the modded closed Fostex T50RP that are really bulky.

I always love to see headphone companies bring high-quality sound into the lower budget bracket :)

EDIT: I would like to suggest that you guys please make sure that the earpads are nice, comfy, and thick!! Full-sized portable over-ear headphones canNOT compromise on comfort. The edge of your ear hitting the driver is extremely uncomfortable and detracts from the enjoyment of music.

EDIT2: I disagree with the post above about not doing single-sided cable. For portable usage, single cable is so much more convenient!!! user replaceable cables & smartphone-mic cables would be killer.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #30 of 1,240
what's the word on expected pricing for the PM-3??? This actually looks really appealing as there are currently no true portable orthodynamic headphones. The only closed back orthos I am aware of are the super pricey open LCD-XC and the modded closed Fostex T50RP that are really bulky.

I always love to see headphone companies bring high-quality sound into the lower budget bracket :)

EDIT: I would like to suggest that you guys please make sure that the earpads are nice, comfy, and thick!! Full-sized portable over-ear headphones canNOT compromise on comfort. The edge of your ear hitting the driver is extremely uncomfortable and detracts from the enjoyment of music.

They haven't announced any pricing yet. I think they are going to be less than the PM-2 though.
You can see a distant shot of the prototype in the 1st post of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back