OPPO the good, the bad, the ugly?
Mar 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's my reference digital rig now, but Ric and I were just talking about upgrading the Oppo to a new 32-bit DAC he's trying out. We'll see...

When the Pioneer is fully burned in I'll write a review.

That's why I am taking my time with buying an oppo and sending it on to Rik: he continues to work with these units and come up with more changes! I think that's pretty cool.

Yes, drop in a review of your modded unit when you get it. We need more of those around here (reviews of modded units!)

Mar 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I am taking my time with buying an oppo and sending it on to Rik: he continues to work with these units and come up with more changes! I think that's pretty cool.

Yes, drop in a review of your modded unit when you get it. We need more of those around here (reviews of modded units!)

Yeah, his giggle was a little sinister as he told me how he might obsolete my brand new Pioneer next week.

I'm amazed at the cost of the raw materials. In low bulk the 32 bit DACs are only 10-bucks! How Linn and others charge 20-grand for a DAC in a billet case just blows my mind.

Dave

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 21
Do you know which chip he's using? Also, does he have a website?

Actual part costs often don't show the true picture when it comes to digital components, particularly for DACs implementation makes a very large difference in quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 21
I think Dave might know. Rik's site says very little about actual parts. Your thinking is right on, though. I heard a few mods to the same CD players a few years back by two competing companies. They were quite different and it confounded me at the time. But it was obvious they did the stock players in.

OK Dave, let us know when the new units are "out"....! Gah! I want one now!

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #20 of 21
The Good - It's still going strong with no hiccups!

The Bad - I don't use it for Hi-Res listening anymore, because...

The Ugly - our crap DVD player died and my wife made me give up the Oppo for the main DVD duties - meaning it logs endless hours of wife/kid shows and movies hooked to the TV only, argh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back