Oppo PM3 vs RBH Hp-2
Jan 13, 2016 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vdgraaf

New Head-Fier
Somehow I end up decided to buy of those, but no idea which one:)

The PM3 is a bit more expensive but beside that I wonder if the sound stage is wide enough: I did not like the Bayerdynamic DT 770 because of that..
I have not read much about RBH HP-2, but whatever reviews I could find call them way more detailed that anything at that price range(200) so I wonder if they can keep up with the Oppo or not.

Any suggestions?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I am interested in both but haven't heard either -- but I did find this video which has them both and some discussion on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzDYJDyk24

It's worth checking out... from research I have done I found the Oppo's to be more visually pleasing, and it seems like they are pretty highly regarded thus far as far as sound quality goes, whereas the HP-2's are very new and can't really find much in the way of reviews yet. I haven't really read anything too negative about the HP-2's yet except the claims from Audioholics that they sound better than $1000 headphones are far-fetched, everything else has been positive. I actually ended up ordering the HP-2's because I was planning to try both and compare them and return whichever one I didn't like, but after ordering them had a change of plans and skipped the Oppo's (tough call because I really was interested in them!). The HP-2's seem to be on a several week lag right now for shipping.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 4
  I am interested in both but haven't heard either -- but I did find this video which has them both and some discussion on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNzDYJDyk24

It's worth checking out... from research I have done I found the Oppo's to be more visually pleasing, and it seems like they are pretty highly regarded thus far as far as sound quality goes, whereas the HP-2's are very new and can't really find much in the way of reviews yet. I haven't really read anything too negative about the HP-2's yet except the claims from Audioholics that they sound better than $1000 headphones are far-fetched, everything else has been positive. I actually ended up ordering the HP-2's because I was planning to try both and compare them and return whichever one I didn't like, but after ordering them had a change of plans and skipped the Oppo's (tough call because I really was interested in them!). The HP-2's seem to be on a several week lag right now for shipping.

Did you get your HP-2? How do you like them?

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 4
I did! 

They sound amazing. They're lightweight and comfortable. Really thrilled with them.

Pros:
- Lightweight
- Very comfortable
- Sound is outstanding -- really, really happy with this
- They come with a very nice quality hard case
- Inexpensive, I bought these the same time as a pair of $700 headphones (jvc wood 01)... and to be honest, I enjoy the sound of these quite a bit more. 
- Handsome packaging

Cons:
- This is hard to explain and accurately portray how I feel -- but if I had to find something to complain about, it would be the materials or build quality. Let me elaborate. I don't think they look or feel cheap, but certain aspects of them don't suit my taste and some of the materials aren't premium (hard to fault this on $200 price point). For example -- the actual pads and headband have some sort of leather (not sure if it's real or not) -- this feels and looks nice. However many of the other parts are plastic and not premium, and on the headband where you can expand it, there's some kind of shiny metallic looking material that I am not a fan of. I also think that if different materials were used it would impact the weight and they wouldn't be as comfortable, so it's a trade-off I'm OK with. 

From pictures I've seen, I think the oppo's aesthetically and build quality, for my taste is like 10/10. The RBH HP-2's are like 6 or 7 for my taste as far as aesthetics and build. But they look fine, and the sound is amazing. I haven't heard the oppo's, but the HP2's are amazing... really happy with them, will be my daily headphones hopefully for years to come, and they're the kind of headphones that, after hearing them, I feel like why should I even come to this site anymore? 

I'd happily consider getting a higher end model with premium materials if RBH ever comes out with one... but for $200, doesn't really get much better than this as far as I'm concerned. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back