Oppo PM-3?
Nov 8, 2015 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

carlosabia

Head-Fier
What are these headphones best for? I want something amazing, CLEAR, closed and some isolation headphones to use with my phone, no amp. I've heard great things about these, but I'm not sure if they're for what I want.

I own the new wireless vmoda's and gotta say I don't like them, I feel they're not clear, bass is too much, soundstage not good for me. It sounds too "distorted(?)" for me. They're AMAZING, just not even close for my own personal likings.

I mostly do music (metal,rock,pop,etc) and like youtube videos. Any recommendation would be life saving...

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're ok with a very neutral sound, I'd say they're good for most everything. Use mine as a reference when I want the most accurate version of the music I'm listening too. Not the biggest soundstage being closed but they isolate well. My Note 3 at max volume gives them ok volume but not exactly loud so, depending on your phone and how loud you like your music, the PM-3 may not be loud enough nor sound their best without an amp.

Seems like everything V-moda makes is bass heavy (hardly ever touch my Crossfade LPs). Thought the PM-3s didn't have much bass until I played some bass heavy tracks and heard (sometimes even felt) every bit of bass in the recording. Same with treble which gets close to spiking only if the recording has it. Behaves the same way whether listening to music or youtube but they won't necessarily make a bad song or video sound good.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 6
  If you're ok with a very neutral sound, I'd say they're good for most everything. Use mine as a reference when I want the most accurate version of the music I'm listening too. Not the biggest soundstage being closed but they isolate well. My Note 3 at max volume gives them ok volume but not exactly loud so, depending on your phone and how loud you like your music, the PM-3 may not be loud enough nor sound their best without an amp.

Seems like everything V-moda makes is bass heavy (hardly ever touch my Crossfade LPs). Thought the PM-3s didn't have much bass until I played some bass heavy tracks and heard (sometimes even felt) every bit of bass in the recording. Same with treble which gets close to spiking only if the recording has it. Behaves the same way whether listening to music or youtube but they won't necessarily make a bad song or video sound good.

Closed, some isolation, rock and metal music, big soundstage and clear highs and trebble, to be moved only with my phone and laptop.. Whats best for me?

My current Vmodas
Oppo PM-3
Yamaha MT220
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog
B&W P7

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Honestly haven't heard all those headphones but recently got the Fostex T50RP mk3 (a new, minor update to the mk2 which I believe the Alpha Dogs were based upon). The mk3s are much less efficient even compared to the Oppos. Barely get any volume using them with my phone so I highly doubt the modded mk2 Mad Dog version could be powered by a phone,

Really can't speak for the other two but closed yet big soundstage is hard to find no matter the power involved. The only headphone I can think of that even comes close are my Sony Z7 but those are, at best, $100 more than the PM-3. Closed and very good soundstage plus I can run them from my phone at decent volume. Not sure if they're bright enough for you though plus the higher price.

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 6
I love mine. I can't say i'm a good jugement, this is still a new hobby for me.
I have 2 sets of Open back (Sennheiser). I always go back to the OPPO, both for the sound and also for the fact that i can listen to my music private.
I am travel quite a bit, they are very comfy and the sound is clear and relaxing.
I paired mine with the OPPO HA-2SE.
I love the sound, you can't compare the immersion and sound stage to an open-back pair, but depending what you want these headphones for and where you will listen to them, they might be great.

James

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 6
If you're looking for clear, detailed, neutral sound from a closed set of headphones that isolate well, these will serve you well. Additionally, they are a classy set of cans so you can wear them in public without being stared at. Recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back