Oppo PM-3 Vs. HD600
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

El Zilcho

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking to get some new headphones for a while now, and was basically set on the PM-3.  Was waiting for a check to come in for something I sold before I let myself spend that much on headphones (no particular reason for that, just a psychological thing).  Now that I received it, I'm waffling a bit on the decision.

I was originally set on closed headphones, because I was planning on using them for basically everything.  But I've since started thinking that, since I do have QC25s, I could just use those instead when I need closed back, and consider getting open headphones for use exclusively at home.  However, I can't decide if the benefits of open headphones are really enough to even be worth the trouble.  I've never even listened to open headphones, and I've searched for anywhere locally I could listen to anything, and I'm coming up with nothing within less than 2-3 hours.  

I'm considering the Sennheiser HD600.  I realize they are a much different headphone from the PM-3 (couldn't be much further apart, those two). I've heard lots of positive things about the HD600, and they can be had on sale for a bit cheaper than the PM-3.  They have been around a lot longer, have more options for replacement parts (earpads, cables, etc.) if needed, and seem like a well rounded option.  I know they are harder to drive, but I'm not too worried about that if I'll only be using them at home.  

So, if I'm only going to be using it at home, would I be better off with an HD600?  Would the planar technology of the PM-3 give a cleaner sound, with a smaller soundstage due to the closed back being the only issue with the PM-3 (and since I've never heard an open back headphone, I won't know what I'm missing, so it may not bother me)?  Am I over thinking things (almost assuredly so, because I almost always do that)?  

Thoughts?

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Just curious if you tried the HD600 and if so, how do they compare to the PM-3s?  Your post really resonated with me because I'm in the exact same situation, wondering the same thing :).

I'm enjoying the PM-3s immensely but would not have a problem using an open back headphone at home.  Just not sure what I'm missing, if anything....

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey riversub,

I haven't heard the PM-3s, so I can't give an impression, or say what you may be missing.

I ended up getting HD650 headphones. They are fantastic, I can't get enough of listening to them. I really like the large diameter and soft pads. They are light weight and supremely comfortable. I tried on several headphones at a shop (had to drive a long way to find someplace that had high-end headphones to test). It didn't take long before I realized that the smaller ear cups of "portable" headphones just didn't feel as good as larger ones to me. The HD600 and 650 sounded very similar in the store, but the source was messed up, and it was hard to do a true comparison.

The sound of the HD650 is intoxicating. I'm vey happy with them.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 5
I use them with my Fiio X5ii, which drives them great. Much more than enough volume, great sound.

I also use them directly from my iPad. Volume gets loud enough for me, though it does have to be turned up pretty far for higher level listening. If you like your jams really loud, or if you have a quiet source file you may find yourself wishing for another notch or two of volume. Enough volume for me, though I sometimes get the impression that I listen at lower volume than many people.

My laptop and Denon receiver both drive them fine, with plenty of volume and good sound.

From my phone (Lumia Windows phone. Yep, I'm the one person using one of those) the volume is limited. I don't listen from my phone much at all, so it doesn't matter to me. But if my phone was my primary source I would be looking for a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back