OPPO PM-3 or HD600
Dec 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

crizelle

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I currently own :
- SHURE SRH840 mainly used at home;
- Philips M1BT (not using bluetooth anymore, only wirred) for everyday travels/work.
- Chord Mojo (which I love so much)

I was thinking in getting a bit more hi-fi headphones. Naturally, HD600 are on my list since they seem to be on the wall of fame of fairly everyone. However, since they are exclusively for home listening and I am a bit tirred of my M1BT, I was thinking maybe the OPPO PM-3 could provide the same level of quality, but with the added value of being transportable.

==> Could you guys please help me with your feedback on whether the OPPO is on a similar performance with the Sennheiser ?

Since they are closed cans, I understand soundstage won't be as good (in %?). Also, Innerfidelity & Whathifi seem to found them a tad lazy, not such a great fun listen. Very clean and all, but a tad borring, especially in lower range. Since I listen to a lot of electronic music (Jon Hopkins, James holden and so on), I am afraid not to enjoy the listening experience so much...Also, they are twice the price...so seriously considering getting hd 600 for home and eventually MSR7 & HD600 for the same price...

Do you guys think that the difference, at home, between a SHURE SRH840 and Sennheiser is enormous ?

I have been considering other cans...Audio technica MSR7 (but afraid the highs are too harsh), Meze Classics 99 (but I don't picture myself wearing them outside), Beyerdynamic DT990 pro (but I hear they are not on par with HD600). Philips Fidelio X2 ? I am not sure they would make a real difference with my actual setup...

Tomorrow, I am going for a test session with Mr Speakers Ether Flow...much afraid going back to cans on my budget is going to be horrible.

What do you guys think ? Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if questions was already answered somewhere in the depth of the forum! Have been reading a lot here but can't find exactly the answer I am looking for!

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 4
I have both. That's also your solution? :wink: Regarding your question, in my opinion they sound pretty similar. Of course the HD600 sounds a bit more open and PM-3 more closed, but that's to be expected and both have pros and cons. Overall, the Oppo's are amazing cans and I highly recommend them!

Jul 7, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 4
You might want to consider the Denon MM400 as an alternative to the PM3. They're within your budget and the consensus is that they are a fuller, more fun sounding headphone. I'm an electro/EDM listener and they don't disappoint with their punchy low-end. Have a look through the MM400 thread and search it for PM3 and you'll find plenty of comparisons from folks that have heard both.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 4
If you hear the Ether Flow and like it, consider the Oppo PM-2 as a compromise between the HD600 and PM-3. The PM-2 sounds similar to the Ether (have not heard the Flow version, yet), has a fuller sound than the HD600 (or warmer, at least) with all of the detail and slightly larger soundstage, and has the portability of the PM-3. Just one thing: the PM-2 was discontinued months ago and one reputable place on Amazon has them used, so if you want them, here they are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...499921993&sr=8-1&keywords=pm-2&condition=used

Edit: OP did this thread last year, so hopefully the OP sees this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back