Oppo PM-3 or B&O Beoplay H6 Gen 2
Apr 16, 2016 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ZehTreyster

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I'm brand new here and have recently gotten tired of Skullcandy earbuds and $40 Sennheisers. So my birthday was a few days ago and I pretty much just got money so I decided to spend it all and some of my own on a great pair of headphones. I've narrowed it down to two: the Oppo PM-3 and Bang and Olufsen Beoplay H6 Gen 2 that was just released which apparently has lower impedance, more bass, and better mids than their first generation. I read one review in particular that placed the B&O a good bit above the Oppo but people in other discussions say the Oppos are better and most articles I have read say that the Oppos are the best headphone of 2015 so I'm very confused. They're both the same price so that's not a factor. I mostly listen to dubstep and electronic with some rock added in. Some orchestral as well. I listen a LOT on the go which means using my iPhone but I will also use these with my PC for a lot of gaming. So does anyone reccomend one of these over the other and if so why? Thanks!

Apr 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 13
if portability is on your criteriea , think about the fact that Beoplay comes with only a cloth bag, which is my reason to drop it from my consideration set. i need to make sure they well taken care off.

I have shortlisted pm3, Meze 99 and Shure srh1540 , havent made up my mind yet , need more advice

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 13
That's a fair point. I already have a case but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit the H6. My main concern is sound quality since I'll also be using these at home a lot with my gaming PC as well as on the go. I hear they're both easy to drive without an amp which is good since I don't currently have one (will be picking one up soon when I have the money). Anyone else have suggestions?

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 13
apologies! I've joined here just now. I've been reading threads and forums for a long time here.
and i have no HiFi audio equipment. no dap, no dac or HQ iem. i listen to music on my android smartphone.
i wanna buy a dap and start listening to some real music. please suggest me what should i start with?
thanks in advance!

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 13
Hello? :/

I don't think the PM3 would be a good choice for electronic, the bass is not that impactful and it doesn't have a big soundstage. That being said, I ended up on this thread looking for impressions of H6 gen 2 because I haven't heard it. If it has more bass than the gen1 it is probably the better choice, as the gen1 is also airier and more crisp, whereas the PM3 is very smooth and timbrally accurate with a somewhat intimate soundstage. PM3 would be great for a lot of music like singer-songwriter stuff and alt, but for rock and electronic I think it may lack the punch and airiness necessary. If you do get one, post back here about how you like your new headphones 
beyersmile.png

apologies! I've joined here just now. I've been reading threads and forums for a long time here.
and i have no HiFi audio equipment. no dap, no dac or HQ iem. i listen to music on my android smartphone.
i wanna buy a dap and start listening to some real music. please suggest me what should i start with?
thanks in advance!

1. You should probably start your own thread for this
2. If you don't have any nice headphones, the difference a DAP will make is very small. I think the FiiO DAPs are quite nice, and I own an X3ii. I didn't want to buy a DAP with bad UI or one that was hard to navigate, and the FiiO scroll wheel is nice. theres also always the X1 for lesser price. Still, I'd recommend looking for a good pair of headphones or IEMs first.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 13
Originally Posted By coletrain104

I don't know how to start a thread.
& could You Kindly suggest me anything about good iem or headpones?

If you go to forums nav and go to "help and getting started" and then "recommendations", it'll bring you to a new page. Just under the title on the left theres a blue button to start your own thread. 

As for me recommending a headphone or iem, I have no idea what you want or what type of music you listen to. What do you want out of your music now that you don't get? lifelike vocals? airiness and clarity? bass thump? Open or closed headphone?

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 13
I just got both the PM-3 and the H6. Neither is perfect. I wish I could combine their attributes into one. The H6 has much more low bass- probably too much. You may enjoy that with some music, but not all. For instance, with jazz, the H6's bass emphasis makes real acoustic bass sound unrealistic. But in pop/rap/electronic music, that real-life comparison may not be an issue. The H6 also has a very bright, shimmery high end - maybe a bit exaggerated, but I like it. The PM-3 sounds more realistic, more neutral, more balanced, but less airy and shimmery in the high treble. To me, that is its only shortcoming. Midrange is great, bass is just right, soundstage is good,... but I wish it had highs like the H6. The H6, with it's exaggerated highs and lows, is fun to listen to, but I imagine it might be fatiguing. 

I settled on these two because I was looking for a great closed-back, portable headphone. But if you are listening at home through an amp, the Sennheiser HD600 has better sound than both. And it's cheaper. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 13
  I just got both the PM-3 and the H6. Neither is perfect. I wish I could combine their attributes into one. The H6 has much more low bass- probably too much. You may enjoy that with some music, but not all. For instance, with jazz, the H6's bass emphasis makes real acoustic bass sound unrealistic. But in pop/rap/electronic music, that real-life comparison may not be an issue. The H6 also has a very bright, shimmery high end - maybe a bit exaggerated, but I like it. The PM-3 sounds more realistic, more neutral, more balanced, but less airy and shimmery in the high treble. To me, that is its only shortcoming. Midrange is great, bass is just right, soundstage is good,... but I wish it had highs like the H6. The H6, with it's exaggerated highs and lows, is fun to listen to, but I imagine it might be fatiguing. 

To resurrect an old(er) thread, I've been working with the same choices, the PM3 vs the H6 v2, I was able to buy the H6 for a song and a dance and I just purchased the PM3's and your review is exactly right-on. On the price alone, the H6's are not going back, and the more I listen to the PM3's they are not going back either. So in short, the best option is to keep both, they both worthy of having based on their performance. :wink:

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 13
Resurrecting this thread again, as I have the same dilemma. I really like both of these headphones but for different reasons, and can only keep one. I am leaning toward keeping the Oppo just due to comfort and the nice case, since sound is basically a wash - both have excellent bass; PM3 has beautiful lush but detailed mids, while H6 is a bit cooler here and more scooped; H6 has more sparkle up top but is more prone to slight sibilance; H6 wins big on soundstage but feels slightly less cohesive and more analytical sometimes. Which did you all end up choosing, and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back