Oppo PM-3, help me pick a DAC/AMP
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mistersprinkles

Head-Fier
I'm getting Oppo PM-3's. Will be for desktop use. I know, other headphones are "better" but I like these :).

Considering the following options:

Odac+Schiit Magni 2

Dragonfly Red

Dragonfly black+Schiit Magni 2

Schiit Modi+Schiit Magni 2

Which of these options would be preferable? Also how does the sound of the dragonfly compare with the schiit amp?

My friend from Thailand (you may know him, he is the creator of Fidelizer and Nmitra) said that I should drive the PM-3's with more power to give them better sound and wasn't too sure about the dragonfly red by itself as a DAC/AMP.

Again this is for desktop use. I have heard these cans can be driven loud by an iphone but benefit from an amp. I read on this forum somebody liked the Dragonfly red more than the Oppo HA2.

Thoughts?

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 8
Get a balanced cable and run them from something more powerful, like the Oppo HA-1.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Opinions will wildly differ because of subjectivity and personal taste. Preferred sound signature (headphone has most to do with this, but upstream gear does matter in many cases), useability features, expansion options, and even aesthetics come into play. Here are some options I’d consider personally. PM-3’s are highly efficient planars, but they are still planars, so my opinions are based on that frame of mind. Consider if you plan to expand to speakers as well - some of these support active speakers as a preamp, some don’t.

• Schiit Modi 2/Magni 3 - a Magni 2/2U would be ample power, but the Magni 3 brings some great new things to the table. If you want to come in well under $200 then shop a used 2/2U. Pick the Modi 2 that has the inputs you’d need. Price varies depending on used listings, but even new at worst you’d spend $300 + shipping for the Modi 2U/Magni 3 direct from Schiit. Unless you’re in California like me and pay sales tax. Wop wop wop. Haha.
  • NFB-11 - if you drink the “Chi-Fi” Kool-Aid, the NFB-11 is powerful and a great all-in-one box. It arguably has more useability features like actual switches for I/O, and the Sabre DAC is accurate and quite transparent. You’ll need to send it to China for manufacturer support, though there’s huge threads around here if you need help. Around $275 used.
  • iFi micro iDSD - powerful as hell and sounds good to boot (I’m a fan of iFi’s DAC implementations, so I’m a tad biased). Option to go portable, though it’s as/more powerful than many desktop-only amps. Fun sound-shaping features if that’s your kind of thing. Around $275 used.
  • CEntrance DACport Slim - I was skeptical about this guy, but it pushes my HE-500 to decent levels and dynamics surprisingly. Since you plan desk use I’d only consider this guy if you want the space or option for portable listening though. About $100 from many places.
There are tons of other options within your budget, but the above recommendations I’ve actually tried myself, which in my opinion is the only way I can confidently recommend anything. Have fun.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I have anb HA-2 and use it with PM-3's when out and about / on holiday ... when I don't have time to listen via a bigger amp. The PM-3 sounds really, really good with the HA-2 and my understanding was it was designed to work with it (?) .... it certainly sounds good !

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 8
For desktop use you might as well get a dedicated unit. I have the DFB and it sounds great, but with the DF series you're paying extra for portability and size.

For home, I'm using a JDS O2 Amp with the OL-DAC. Fantastic transparent sound, not a hint of noise, great imaging, separation, etc. If you want to hear the OPPO-PM3 as it was intended to sound (i.e. without colouration) then the O2/ODAC/OL-DAC is a great and inexpensive option. Buying their b-stock, you can get the o2 amp/OL-DAC for $180.

The Schiit Magni 3 is supposed to be a great amp and the price is really attractive at $99. Might as well pair it with the Modi 2 for aesthetics, but there is likely no audible difference in any of these DACs - they're all superb at doing their job (i.e. converting the digital signal to analogue). It's the amp that will colour the sound.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 8
I have Meridian Explorer2 and it's pretty good. Just like PM3 it doesn't have weak point, good all arounder. Even it's a small device it plays easily loud enough.
I liked it a lot over DF Red or Black.

I hope you find good one, cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back