Oppo PM-2 vs AKG 701
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ptitdoon

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a confortable open over-ear headphones, and I came towards two good used-items: the PM-2 and the 701.

I am mostly using electronic music, some classic rock, few vocals.
What I like in cans is a large sound stage, detailed sound, not too bassy, not tiring listening.

I have been in possession in the last ten years of AKG 272HD (enjoyed a lot, stolen), the Beyerdynamic T70p (did not like sound and build-quality, sold), Oppo-PM3 (still own them, like the sound, find it misses openness, clamping force is a bit painful over time on my jaws).

I'd like to get another pair to listen to at home for long periods (while working on computer).
I have a Nuforce Icon HDP dac.

Which would you advice between the 2?
Anyone knows if PM-2 are less clamping than PM-3 (website says it's the same force, but I'm wondering since they are quite bigger)?

I should mention I also saw some Focal Elear in very good condition, but these are a tad more expensive....would it be worth the extra?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi,

I am looking for a confortable open over-ear headphones, and I came towards two good used-items: the PM-2 and the 701.

I am mostly using electronic music, some classic rock, few vocals.
What I like in cans is a large sound stage, detailed sound, not too bassy, not tiring listening.

I have been in possession in the last ten years of AKG 272HD (enjoyed a lot, stolen), the Beyerdynamic T70p (did not like sound and build-quality, sold), Oppo-PM3 (still own them, like the sound, find it misses openness, clamping force is a bit painful over time on my jaws).

I'd like to get another pair to listen to at home for long periods (while working on computer).
I have a Nuforce Icon HDP dac.

Which would you advice between the 2?
Anyone knows if PM-2 are less clamping than PM-3 (website says it's the same force, but I'm wondering since they are quite bigger)?

I should mention I also saw some Focal Elear in very good condition, but these are a tad more expensive....would it be worth the extra?

Cheers.

I have PM-2 and PM-3 ... I find the PM-2 far more comfortable than the PM-3. They do clamp quite a bit less less and are the headphones I use most of the time compared to my others ( I also have Audeze EL-8 and Grado PS500e & GS1000e)

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I got the AKG 701 and did not like very much the comfort (the band is hurting my hairless head) and the sound (trebles are a bit agressive). I finally decided to get a used pair of PM-2 which I should receive soon. Your message helped me a bit since you got the same setup!
By the way what do you use for amplification on your PM-2? Do you have any advice?
I'm looking for USB powered DAC/Amp, the Oppo HA2?
Greetings.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I got the AKG 701 and did not like very much the comfort (the band is hurting my hairless head) and the sound (trebles are a bit agressive). I finally decided to get a used pair of PM-2 which I should receive soon. Your message helped me a bit since you got the same setup!
By the way what do you use for amplification on your PM-2? Do you have any advice?
I'm looking for USB powered DAC/Amp, the Oppo HA2?
Greetings.

Hi, I have a Pioneer U-05 as my main amp for the PM-2's but have used it on the HA-2. The HA-2 is ok with the PM-3's but not so good with the PM-2's.

The Pioneer brings out far more from the PM-2's than the HA-2 which sounds ideal with PM-3's and a lot warmer with PM-2's than I like .

I do rate the HA-2 a lot but mainly use with the PM-3 when out.

For what it is worth the PM-3's don't sound any better on the Pioneer than they do on the HA-2 whereas the PM-2's come alive. I think a dearer DAC than the HA-2 has would be better with PM-2's... if you can stretch to it and need portable try the Chord ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back