OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #362 of 743
^ I measure openings in the PM-3 ear pads that are 35mm x 65mm  35mm x 60 mm - just like the PM-1/PM2, except that the PM-3 openings are more perfect ovals, where the PM-1/PM-2 are round-cornered rectangles.   

The thing to remember about OPPO's pads is that they are thick, soft, and pliable - nothing like the thin, ear-pinching pads of supra-aural headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and Sennheiser Amperior - both of which would bring pain to the tops of my ears if I wore them for too long - with the DT1350 being the worst, in that regard.  

My ear lobes are technically not inside the PM-1 or PM-3 cups - they end up being covered by the broad pads at the bottom,but the pads of both headphones create a really good seal that causes no discomfort whatsoever - because they are so cushy soft and pliable - hugely different from the typical supra-aural headphone experience. 

Mike

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #363 of 743
Yesterday and today I went to a couple of local shops here in Portland, OR, doing research for my next headphone setup. The result of that research is that I’ll soon be an owner of the Oppo HA-1 and PM-2. The other closest contender (for my price range) was the Sennheiser HD700, so I think I’ll take a bit of time to compare them and share my experiences. Keep in mind that I was unable to AB these headphones.

Gear
  1. Sennheiser HD700 + Bryston BHA-1
  2. Oppo PM-2 + Oppo HA-1
  3. Source: Google Play Music (320kbps) from Laptop-> USB
Testing tracks (Song – Artist)
  1. Massive Attack – Angel
  2. Fog (Jamie xx Remix) – Nosaj Thing
  3. Good For Me – Above & Beyond
  4. What Heaven Allows – Hammock
  5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live) – Pink Floyd
  6. Fleur Blanche - Örsten
  7. Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3 [Redemption] – Muse

I started off by testing the low end capabilities of the headphones, with the tracks by Massive Attack and Nosaj Thing. If it’s not a least moderately fun to listen to, I won’t consider a pair of headphones. Massive Attack simply rumbles throughout the song, and with good bass reproduction it’s a very fun song to listen to. I was pleasantly surprised by the HD700’s here, as I admit I wasn’t expecting much from them in the low end. The bass was punchy and quick, but didn’t overextend itself. The PM-2’s were very similar in this regard, but perhaps very slightly less forward than the Senns. With the Nosaj Thing track, the opening notes number 4, unless your equipment doesn’t handle bass well, in which case the first note isn’t discernable. Both pairs of cans handled this very well, I think the PM-2 had more impact though.

Moving on down the playlist, I listened to a track from Above & Beyond’s Acoustic album, a track from Pink Floyd’s Delicate Sound of Thunder live album, and Hammock’s What Heaven Allows. Here I was testing soundstage presence (Pink Floyd live), quickness and the ability to handle multiple sounds from different channels (Hammock), and the acoustic version of Good For Me is my go-to female vocal test. In soundstage the Sennheisers took the prize, perhaps expectedly. Spacious and airy, everything was reproduced well and I had no complaints. The PM-2’s by comparison certainly didn’t leave anything out, but were possibly a little more recessed, with positioning somehow veiled just a little bit. The Oppo cans were very complimenting to Zoe Johnston, while the Sennheisers did get piercing on the higher notes.

Fleur Blanche by Örsten is an interesting track to benchmark, but it’s also one of my favourite songs to sit back and listen to. The record crackling and beginning piano notes can be slightly off-putting, and indeed it was more so on the HD700’s than the PM-2’s. There’s also a hint of a background vocal murmur in the first few seconds of the track, which was very prominent on the HD700’s, slightly less so on the PM-2’s. The low end is also fairly present in the track.

Symphony Part 3 is my go-to for testing sibilance. I love the track, but the S sounds are simply unbearable on some equipment – this is what ultimately drove me away from the HD700’s. The sharpness of the sound was simply too much. While still present, I found the noise to be far less aggressive on the PM-2’s.

Lastly, a note on comfort. The Sennheisers are very light, but clamp just a tad too much on my head – nothing unbearable though, and given the weight I could listen to them for hours without complaining. The Oppos felt a little more substantial, and far better made. I really liked the smoothness of the earcup swivel on them, and the headband was less noticeable with the PM-2’s than the 700’s, despite the added weight. I would have preferred velour earpads to the leather-like stock ones on the PM-2, simply for the fact that the velour pads would breathe a little more. However I didn’t find it to be a problem while testing.

Ultimately, my decision was made not so much by what the Oppo setup did right – it was what the HD700’s did wrong. Both are amazing, well-rounded headphones. I liked the bass a little more on the PM-2’s, I disliked the sharp and overly forward sound of the HD700’s, which the Oppo’s certainly did not share. I also found the PM-2’s a little more comfortable. Based on all of these factors, I’ll be picking up the HA-1 and PM-2 combo soon.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #364 of 743
Thanks for your very nice impressions. If you prefer the velour pads, you can also buy them separately.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #368 of 743
I can definitely see folks preferring the HD600 to the PM-2. I've had discussions with some real people, and some of them do prefer the HD600. It also could be an ortho vs. dynamic headphone thing.

The PM-2 can be soft sounding (in bass dynamics, attack, etc.) depending upon amp. I had no such issues with PM-2 with Mjolnir or 4-45. Both amps have a ton of slam and don't blunt the attacks. The areas where PM-2 excels is bass quality (again, provided appropriate amp) and a treble - clean and well delineated. The HD600 mids quality is better and arguably has smoother treble. The PM-2 mids, regardless of pads, still have a slight veil to them. The PM-2 has a slight bump at 8-9k which wasn't an issue for me all at, but I think it was one for Hans. The HD600's upper mid bump at 3-4k is less desirable, at least for my tastes. Now that I think of it, I sort of get the "limp-dick" thing Hans attributed to the PM-1/2. The headphone tends towards being laid back, pleasant, soothing, forgiving. I totally understand if this isn't one's cup of tea.

Considering that the HD600 costs $360, I think Hans is being generous saying he feels the PM-2 should be priced at $500. No? Personally, I think everything is costing too much these days thanks to HF'ers talking up what they currently have/own/love as the bees-knees. But anyways, compared to HE-560, LCD-2 (which are better and worse in different ways), I think the PM-2 price is fair under the existing headphone universe.

I am really interested in you comparing LCD2 rev2 and Oppo PM2.
Sometimes when listening to the PM2 I feel that I need more soundstage. The question is, does a wider stage exist or this is the limit of headphones:rolleyes:?!
I listened to the HE 560 that have one of the widest stages ever, but thin thin thin mids, boring sound and uncontrolled treble. All the flaws of the HE560 passed the soundstage and made me to return them.

I am enjoying the PM2 but never heard the LCD2. Is the sound stage on the LCD2 is significantly wider?

I am using Oppo HA1 and Woo Wa22 to drive phones.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #369 of 743
In my case I ordered the ha-1 and pm-2 and compared to my balanced hd-600. I returned the pm-2. I kept the ha-1.

I got the HA1 and PM2 as well.

I would like to learn from u experience :)
What do u like about the HA1? How do u find it with the HD600?

What you didn't like about the PM2?

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #370 of 743
The 600 run balanced from the Oppo is an excellent combo.  I also have a Bottlehead Crack, and while ultimately I think I prefer the 600 on the crack, I mostly use it on the Ha-1.  There is a extra level of detail and drive from the solidstate that I like. Both are excellent, and both amps are sourced from the HA-1 DAC. Of course the HA-1 is more than that, as I use it for a pre-amp to my 2 channel system, and enjoy all of the connectivity, ipod, USB OTG, and bluetooth.  

PM-2 for me ultimately came down to a cost/benefit analysis.  To my ear, it was only better than the 600 in bass and bass extension.  I found the midrange and treble on the PM-2 muddy and congested in comparison, and just preferred listening to the 600 overall.  I tried the PM-2 with the balanced cable which I found did not help the headphone at all, it sounded the same single ended.  It just did not seem to benefit from the extra power.  I did find the 600 did benefit from the extra power (subjectively), and I always run it that way.  It's been some months now, and I've moved on to the Philips X2, which is a better HD-600.  It's a little less midrange centric, has great bass and maybe a little more sparkle.  I don't know if I'll part with the 600, but right now it's getting dusty.

Good luck, there are lots of good options.

Ron

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #371 of 743
Nice review of PM-1 http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/12525

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #372 of 743
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-2/reviews/12513

My PM-2 review, I thought you guys might be interested. I really think that they have their spot in audiophilia and find that many comparisons that people make are unfair for the PM-2. Ceck it out!

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #373 of 743
http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-2/reviews/12513

My PM-2 review, I thought you guys might be interested. I really think that they have their spot in audiophilia and find that many comparisons that people make are unfair for the PM-2. Ceck it out!

Nice review. I agree with you very much on comfort although it is personal thing (i.e. depends on one's head size and/or ear size). I find my Oppo PM-2 more comfortable than my HD800 but that is probably because I have smaller head and ears. Although I have a HD800 (and few more pairs of HPs), whenever I just want to relax and listen to music, I reach for my PM-2. Although it doesn't 'scale' well as many have observed, I like it better being driven by a Gustard H10 that Lyr 2 for example. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back