Oppo PM-1 versus PM-3
Apr 22, 2018 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Martijn W

Head-Fier
Dear fellow head-fi'ers,

Who knows both these headphones?
What aspects of the PM-1 are better than PM-3, and to what extend?

I have not heard the PM-1 but I own a PM3. The longer I have it the more I love it.
What I like about it is it's subtle / fatigue-free sound signature while still being very detailed. Additionally I find it has a comfortable fit and quality feel to it.

Now I am considering purchasing a PM-1 for home use, but I am not sure what to expect.
I will look to audition before purchasing, but until then I am curious about your opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Martijn

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 5
They're very different headphones. The PM3 is closed while the PM1 is open (although not super open - there is a bit of isolation). The PM1 have much better/cleaner bass and midrange (I didn't feel the high end was that much better and liked both). The PM1 has a larger soundstage and, to me, was more comfortable (especially with the velour pads). All that said, you might want to look at a PM2 first as it is very similar to the PM1 and is significantly cheaper - the PM1 just had more high quality parts (I thought the PM2 was built well too though).

Hope this helps.

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 5
thnx. i can imagine the advantages of an open-back design. Better low and mid than pm-3 sounds tempting though.

Am not sure about PM-1 vs PM-2. PM-2 should be very nice probably, but I don't want to end up upgrading again...

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 5
The Pm-3 were boring. The lows and highs were rolled off and nothing was as detailed as the pm-1. Sound stage was much better as well on the Pm-1 as well.

Unless you can get a good deal on them, with Oppo closing shop you might consider the LCD2c or the Aeon Flow open. I fell in love with the Oppo Pm-2 enough to sell all my headphones, but could not find a pair for a good price so I bought the LCD2c and love them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back