Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 16, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #286 of 2,563

I believe the Oppo PM-1 prototype's nominal impedance is 32 ohms. The driver is a push-pull (double-ended) design, which means that there are magnets on both sides of the diaphragm.

I'm not being coy about details, I just don't have details yet (including any firm info on price). As more information comes in, I'll share what I can.

Thank You!

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #289 of 2,563
These look ace, can't wait to hear some more thoughts.

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #290 of 2,563
lol you guys should at least read the last several posts before posting 
wink.gif

Whatever happened to the practice of hiring pretty models for trade shows?  Just saying...

These headphones were secret. Jude said he hid them under the table when too many people stopped by, and they wouldn't let anyone else listen to them. So pretty models would not have been appropriate.

These look ace, can't wait to hear some more thoughts.

They're nowhere close to production. It sounds like they will be making some major tweaks to their sound signature.

Oct 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #294 of 2,563

Just don't hold your breath waiting.  Audeze showed off their closed prototype at CanJam 2012, and introduced their release product at CanJam 2013.  I tend to think Audeze was far more open with their info and sharing with guests, which leads me to believe they were closer to a release produce, then Oppo currently is....

I think they should do things the other way. Release the headphones, then take them to CanJam a year later
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #296 of 2,563

I believe the Oppo PM-1 prototype's nominal impedance is 32 ohms. The driver is a push-pull (double-ended) design, which means that there are magnets on both sides of the diaphragm.

I'm not being coy about details, I just don't have details yet (including any firm info on price). As more information comes in, I'll share what I can.

Thanks for a ballpark estimate that I can use in preplanning, in case the medium-impedance headphone showdown for my Asus® CM1630-06 has no winner.  As I understand things, Magnepan® uses a push-pull magnet configuration for the Magneplanar® family of large open-back speakers, so the Oppo® preliminary physical layout is not without precedent.  The actual frequency response characteristics are the big unknown with this model, as Oppo® obviously intends to execute some serious engineering on the PM-1 before it's available in enough quantity for the trade-show circuit.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #299 of 2,563

Thanks for a ballpark estimate that I can use in preplanning, in case the medium-impedance headphone showdown for my Asus® CM1630-06 has no winner.  As I understand things, Magnepan® uses a push-pull magnet configuration for the Magneplanar® family of large open-back speakers, so the Oppo® preliminary physical layout is not without precedent.  The actual frequency response characteristics are the big unknown with this model, as Oppo® obviously intends to execute some serious engineering on the PM-1 before it's available in enough quantity for the trade-show circuit.

Only the midrange panels and tweeters of the largest Maggies are 'push/pull' with magnets on both sides of the membrane. All the rest of the panels in their speakers are 'push' only.

I own a pair of maggies similar to the 1.7 which was push only the tension on the stretched plastic membrane pulls itself back to the resting state.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #300 of 2,563
Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread but I don't recall seeing it but it looks like OPPO are actually working on a Headphone Amp/DAC/PRE as well, which will certainly be an interesting proposition,based around the Sabre 9018 DAC, they are saying that it will even drive the HE-6's, the the only drawback being that they are not actually sure whether it will make production, I have a feeling it will though.

More info here, certainly looks like a beast -

http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/pacific-nw-home-theater-get-together/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back