Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #77 of 2,563
I cant help but feel drawn to the HDVA600 as well.. I havent been able to find a really well written in-depth review of it or how it fairs with the HD800.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #78 of 2,563
Jude, any comparisons you can make? I know they may not have given you a price point of any sort since it's still a prototype, but what do you see these competing with?

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #79 of 2,563
recently I really have been disappointed with audio gear reviews being heavy on looks rather than sound. I appreciate Jude bringing this HP to our attention though. I am looking forward to hearing them. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #80 of 2,563
  recently I really have been disappointed with audio gear reviews being heavy on looks rather than sound. I appreciate Jude bringing this HP to our attention though. I am looking forward to hearing them. 

+1
Headphones have been coming to "which has better comfort and looks" rather than what the debate should really be about in an audiophile forum, "which has better SQ in ___ areas?"

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #81 of 2,563
  Like `em.  Oppo are also biggish in smart phones : they were the first to bring full 1080p to a 5 inch device, before HTC.  I saw the units in Bangkok about 6 months ago; they looked great but I had never heard of them, and now I`m hearing a lot about them.  I have a suspicion the name is supposed to sound like `Apple` in Chinese, but I won`t hold it against them if the headphones are good !

No, Apple and Oppo are pronounced differently in Chinese. Apple is translated to it Chinese meaning, that is ping-gwo. Oppo is referred by either its English name, or its Chinese name pronounced like O-bow.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #82 of 2,563
Looks very promising. The only reason I don't own LCD2s or Hifiman planars is their weight. If Oppo brings a high performance, open, and light+comfortable planar to the table, then they might have the first high-end headphone I'll be interested in in a long time.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #83 of 2,563
It looks nice, eager to have a try on it. And I hope it won't be so heavy as LCD-3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #84 of 2,563
Man these are good looking. Can't wait to hear more impressions and see a price tag. I wonder if these will be another planar that craves power, or will it be more like the he400? Give me details so I can desire these more!

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #86 of 2,563

+1
Headphones have been coming to "which has better comfort and looks" rather than what the debate should really be about in an audiophile forum, "which has better SQ in ___ areas?"
Imho, comfort is just as important. No point in having a great sounding phone if one cant wear them for more than 30mins from discomfort, a lot of times you end up "trying" to enjoy the headphone with the pain and discomfort taking your mind/focus off what the headphones have to offer.

With that said, I was shocked that Audeze decided not to change their design on the new LCD-XC as well as X

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #87 of 2,563
I've known of Oppo with its Find 5 smartphone and the recently-announced N1 (with CyanogenMod support!), but this has piqued my interest. If this hits the $250-400 range then it will definitely be one on my short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back