Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,551 of 2,563
Yesterday evening I ordered a PM-1. Unfortunately I was not able to audition it but as I own and love the PM-3 for what it is, I do not expect to get dissapointed.

Coming from Sennheiser HD650, my conclusion on PM-1 is best expressed here.

PM-1 is essentially the spiritual successor to the HD650 with all the improvements brought about by a decade of progress in the industry.

Good to read your findings.

The way you describe the PM-1 in relation to the HD650 describes exactly what I am looking for.
I owned HD650 and really liked it's fatigue-free presentation only I sold it as I felt it did not sound as good as my (good old) AKG K240 Sextett.

Can't wait to put the PM-1 on my head :)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,552 of 2,563
I know this thread has started to peter out a little bit due to the demise of Oppo Digital, but I just wanted to sing the PM-1's praises a little, having become a new owner of set bought here through Head-fi. It has such a clean and engaging sound and I love it with the Alternate Lambskin pads the most. It's such a shame that these cans aren't being made anymore. Us PM-1 owners are pretty fortunate.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,554 of 2,563
Wouldn't it be clever market research of them to see what price point people settle on here and in other forums, then set their price accordingly to what it looks like the market will support.
Or “pay what you want” like Radiohead did.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,555 of 2,563
Or “pay what you want” like Radiohead did.
Wow u resurrected this hibernate thread, its also showed the oppo sales seemed didnot do good and accepted well by audiophiles since it seemed they cant compete with other planar/headphone competitor, leading them to leave the audiophiles world, too bad.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,556 of 2,563
They dropped their line of players too. It’s hard to compete with inexpensive players that have comparable image and sound quality. They owned their niche of the market, but the niche was too small to support it.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #2,557 of 2,563
Great company with great products and they just dropped everything and got out. Sad.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #2,558 of 2,563
Great company with great products and they just dropped everything and got out. Sad.
So very sad. If only they re-entered the market. We can dream right?

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #2,560 of 2,563
Wow u resurrected this hibernate thread, its also showed the oppo sales seemed didnot do good and accepted well by audiophiles since it seemed they cant compete with other planar/headphone competitor, leading them to leave the audiophiles world, too bad.

They dropped their line of players too. It’s hard to compete with inexpensive players that have comparable image and sound quality. They owned their niche of the market, but the niche was too small to support it.

From what I recall back when this all happened, Oppo Digital were a part of Oppo and focussed on audio/visual products as a side business to the mobile phones. Due to the increase in demand for their mobile phone business, they decided to just close Oppo Digital and use the space and resources for their mobile phone development.

Mar 8, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #2,561 of 2,563
It's a shame as the planers and the oppo dp-x1 were great.

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,562 of 2,563
There is no need, since the PM-1 (PM-2 tuned) earpads are identical to the PM-2 earpads except that one is leather while the other is synthetic. There is no reason why someone who has a PM-1 would ever need a PM-2 earpad unless they don't like the feel or look of true leather.
As a small matter of irony, it turns out--years later--that the reason why someone who has a PM-1 would ever need a PM-2 earpad is because the PM-2 earpads are the only ones available for purchase now :)

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #2,563 of 2,563
This was quite a read. The drama from skepticism about Oppo's insanity attempting to enter this market, to rebuke over the PM-1 price tag, to drama over alleged schemes by the beta testers, to the endless Earpad-Gate and that one dude constantly claiming that nothing outside the transducer can affect sonic profile... I'm glad I became a PM-1 owner before I saw this thread, or I may never have enjoyed a terrifically engineered pair of headphones!

Of particular note, those detractors enthusiastically predicting resale value crashes for the PM-1 in the wake of the PM-2's imminent launch may observe that the PM-1 has actually held its value rather well.

I wish I had bought the stand, and I want a balanced cable and am wondering whether I have any alternative but to spring for one of the expensive Dragon ones. Otherwise, I love these cans. I'm on Team Alternate Lambskin as my favorite, but I need to start reading the Impressions thread now and post such observations there. See ya'll in a week once I get through that slog!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back