Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Oct 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #2,536 of 2,563
um ..
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,537 of 2,563
Ear pads are to headphones what walls are to speakers in a room. Pad design is notorious to play a key role in the final sound of a headphone and one of the key tuning parameters, besides comfort.

That you can / cannot / care not / hear a difference between Oppo's pads because of short memory / laziness and what have you, fine.

But to dismiss it altogether like you did is either a sign of ignorance or condescendence.

No need to call everyone a fool when one's insecure about hearing differences or not. Just enjoy the fact you may not be at that level of sensibility (or not care which seems to be your case) and maybe that'll save you a lot of money and time down the road.

cheers,
arnaud

lol! i think u just proved my point that u guys r arguing for the sake of arguing. my position is completely neutral abt possible sonic differences w pads & yet u feel the need to attack me. tooo hilarious! that is why this thread is soo amusing :)

edit: ....errr u r definitely misreadin or addin ur own connotations nto posts. i never called any1 a fool. i simply stated that realistically it is very difficult to prove audible sonic differences but if u believe em or dont believe it... oppo allows u to switch pads so either way ur covered. hahaha

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,539 of 2,563
As far as earpads in this particular case I would say that a felt ring removed from the earpads would indeed make a noticble difference, a kind of audio 'muffler' if you will. The difference should be noticble by almost anyone. What value each individual places on the differences is another story.

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,541 of 2,563
I think Tyll's measurements are indicative that the pads can sound slightly different on the PM-1/2. Some of the differences are probably going to be more subjective and harder to objectively prove, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Not sure why it matters either way...if you hear a difference, great, if not, makes your life a lot simpler. Some people have more sensitive hearing and can pick up that stuff more easily. I think the various PM-1/2 pads sound different, but less so if you're comparing the original leather and velour or the stock PM-2 and alternative PM-2 pads.

On my modded PM-2 there is a world of difference between the stock PM-2 pad and the original velour pads, for what that's worth. (Measurably, too.)

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,542 of 2,563
Well to me it's like, if the measurement shows it's less than for instance 3db difference, then we know whatever the case, no one can argue that is a great difference, simply because of how little volume 3db is.

There is 3db difference, you can hear it? Sure, maybe. Maybe you can hear this. It's not the most likely thing in the world but for sure that is a reasonable possibility. But if you are going to say that it makes a huge difference, at that point it is mostly bias. Punch 3db in some equalizer anywhere in the frequency range, that is just not a big deal.

It's like when you eat dinner with a teaspoon full of salt. And someone adds a few grains. You will taste that it is a bit more salty? Maybe you can taste it. But will that make a big difference for the whole taste? No man.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #2,543 of 2,563
  Well to me it's like, if the measurement shows it's less than for instance 3db difference, then we know whatever the case, no one can argue that is a great difference, simply because of how little volume 3db is.

There is 3db difference, you can hear it? Sure, maybe. Maybe you can hear this. It's not the most likely thing in the world but for sure that is a reasonable possibility. But if you are going to say that it makes a huge difference, at that point it is mostly bias. Punch 3db in some equalizer anywhere in the frequency range, that is just not a big deal.

It's like when you eat dinner with a teaspoon full of salt. And someone adds a few grains. You will taste that it is a bit more salty? Maybe you can taste it. But will that make a big difference for the whole taste? No man.

I guess that was the point I was trying to make about individual sensibility. There's large and fine grain, 3dB is not in the range of fine tuning in my book. 

Having said that, the original velours and leather pads on the PM1 prototype sounded awfully similar despite being such different animals (slight pun intended :wink: ).

cheers,
arnaud

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #2,544 of 2,563
Originally Posted by SunshineReggae /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3dB in EQ is definitely a pretty big difference, IME (yes, I have played around with EQ a lot). I definitely know that for my sensitivities and tastes, a measured 3dB difference with, say, a 10KHz peak can make or break a headphone for me. :)

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #2,545 of 2,563
^ It just all depends on the person.
Once again, as I have said before, all ears are different and hear differently.
I can easily detect a 3db difference in most frequencies via blind testing.
This can be a blessing and a curse at the same time, but one thing holds true...
Everyone needs to just listen to any cans or other devices and decide what they do or don't like for themselves.
Arguing against what someone else hears is like arguing about when the next time the wind will blow.
The fact that the PM-1/2 actually have the option for different pads (and mods) is a wonderful thing.
Sometimes we need to just shut up and enjoy the music. :)

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,546 of 2,563
Subbed (but not sure if this thread is still alive).
popcorn.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,548 of 2,563
3DB surely is significant!!10DB doubles the volume so 3 definitely would be noticeable

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #2,549 of 2,563

This was the "let's argue about stuff" thread.  
biggrin.gif

The impressions thread is over here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/712932/oppo-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphone-impressions-thread

Not true, both treads are garbage and therefore a waste of time unless...
...one enjoys reading through soap operas and various rubbish many people who don't even own the equipment choose to throw at those who do.

In both treads, less than 15 people actually had a positive contribution, some of them were beta-testers...
... not counting the moderator(s) who had to create a second tread (this one) to escape the awful smell of the first (or vice versa).

-------

Yes, I own both PM-1 and HA-1 and thank sweet baby Jesus and his blessed mother, The Virgin Mary, I didn't have to base my purchase on these treads.
I happened to stumble upon them some time after both products were bought.

My thoughts on PM-1 are in line with some of the very few ideas related to PM-1 performance found in these 2 treads and/but are more largely expressed in reviews found here and here.
Coming from Sennheiser HD650, my conclusion on PM-1 is best expressed here.

My advice to future readers, ignore both treads and google for reviews, there's a myriad of them out there, for both PM-1 & HA-1.

P.S.

Yes, this very post of mine may contribute to the aforementioned garbage and I apologize for it.
I just hope it will help put an end to an otherwise truly low quality tread.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,550 of 2,563
Has anyone had the opportunity to hear these out of a HDVD800? If so, please share your impressions. Thank you kindly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back