Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Jun 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,967 of 2,563
Okay, "similar sound signature" is that better for you? Are do you feel like you've own something yet?

That isn't technically guaranteed either... I'll agree that there is a big chance that can happen.  Not sure why you're so defensive about a headphone that hasn't been released yet. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,968 of 2,563
That isn't technically guaranteed either... I'll agree that there is a big chance that can happen.  Not sure why you're so defensive about a headphone that hasn't been released yet. 

"Technically" oppo has released a statement months ago that the sound signatures will be [very] similar between the pm-1/ pm-2. All I was doing was trying to nicely answer someone's question. You then feel the need to bombard me with 'materials used in headphone construction make sonics different' I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying I already know that. You don't need to be the head-fi correction police.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,969 of 2,563
Even if we are a little slow to respond (ex. some of you are still waiting for replacement earpads to be purchasable) it does not mean that we are deaf to your concerns. We are just being cautious to ensure that any additional changes that we pursue are beneficial and appreciable, and not something that is done as a reactionary measure.

Your reply is encouraging to all who have been on the sidelines reading about the Competitive product that is quite frankly a cluster. Your company, though a rookie with headphones, seem to understand product development better than one who have many different models rolled out over the past few years. And they seem to make the same mistakes over and over. Now for a closed back..........:D

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #1,970 of 2,563
Such company still does not charge 1099£ at least... Just saying...:D

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #1,972 of 2,563
Not wishing to rake up the international pricing controversy yet again, but hey, this does deserve at least a quick answer before moving on.

Quote:
  That is not OPPO Digital, Inc. So yes, such as company does not charge 1099£, they charge US$1099.

What's in a name? Well, quite a lot so far as corporate identity and reputation goes. If you guys go to John Smith Distributors, and make an agreement with them to handle your products in a territory, then people in that territory will see some separate, multi-brand entity. Whilst you go to OPPO Something or other,  they will see, guess what? OPPO.

You cannot hide behind legal niceties of corporate identity. "We're OPPO, don't confuse us with OPPO: we have no control over OPPO." Does that make sense? Only to lawyers. Absolutely not to consumers.

You guys communicate. You have been much more open on this issue than many companies would have been. So please take this in the spirit of communication, because it is a point that I really think you should  get for the benefit of all, not least yourselves.

Sorry for the interruption.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,973 of 2,563
Been kind of a dearth lately with impressions, did the usual complaints about international pricing scare some away? 
beyersmile.png

See PM-2 availability currently as July 2014.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,977 of 2,563
Sure did, as the dollar/pound parity pricing infuriated me and I won't buy. Perhaps with enough complaints OPPO (UK) will see sense and introduce a more equitable pricing structure.

Been kind of a dearth lately with impressions, did the usual complaints about international pricing scare some away?  :beyersmile:

See PM-2 availability currently as July 2014.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,978 of 2,563
If I lived outside the USA and actually wanted to buy the PM-1, I would just buy it directly from Oppo Digital at the best price available.
Sometimes I think people like to complain just to make everyone else miserable.
If you don't want to buy the PM-1, then don't, and if you have no specific comments about hearing the PM-1 first hand,
then your comments are off topic as this is an impressions thread.
Mods have already said that this is not the place to whine about international prices.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,979 of 2,563
  Yes, I understand that... But -and I guess this is where we're going to disagree- I just don't think the PM1 is competitive at north of $1K. I think it gets outclassed by other phones at that price-point. Again, no offense is intended, this is just based off my ears. But to be fair, it seems quite a few people agree with me. So whether we want to use the language of "a sale" or simply a revamping of the price-point, my argument is that I think something is going to have to give. Or perhaps keep the price the same and revamp the phone itself, so it's more competitive at north of $1K.

Again, no offense intended. This is a forum for discussing headphones, so naturally the discussion is often directly correlated with how good one may feel a particular phone is... Generally such opinions are pretty innocuous, however it can appear to take on an adversarial lean when the person you're discussing said opinion with happens to make the headphone, ha ha. But that's not my intent.

So I'm not trying to be a person... I'm just giving my honest assessment. I think the PM1 is a great phone... But I think it's in the realm of HE500 great. I think it gets outgunned once you start to get into the $1K+ market. So I think it will be hard to sell at that figure once the new product lust wears off.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and the PM1 deserves another listen. It's happened before. :wink: I think every post on this forum should take a note from Reading Rainbow and be tagged with "But don't take my word for it..."

I have had the PM1 for over a month and I am of the group that doesn't agree with you.  I feel like with other OPPO products I have, 105, BDP83, etc., I have received great value for my money.  I just wish I had known the 105D was coming before I bought the 105.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,980 of 2,563
Got a loaner pair of PM-1 in today. Haven't listened to them yet. Box looks nice and the total presentation is impressive. Cans feel solid and well built. Impressions in a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back