Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
May 13, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,862 of 2,563
  Here in Australia, there is a brick and mortar store in Melbourne that sells them in person as far as I'm aware. Their facebook page has them with the stock - ready to demo, I assume. I've not been there, but my brother has and they have hundreds of headphones out to display. Their price is $1699 AUD and the tax rate in this country is 10% of the price of the product, so take out the $169.90 or and we meet the figure of $1529.10. Adjusting our currency to the USD yeilds AUD $1170 or thereabout. Now I'm not sure if this would really apply seeing as products always get marked down over in the US but surely the Australian store isn't paying $1099 US for each of them? If they are then it makes sense with the tax+duty on $1000+ imports but still the price here is a bit steep for what it is.

The LCDX is $2500 here as well. Still not as bad as European prices, but still sucks.

It's the LCD3 that costs that here not the LCDX and it has only gone up to that price in the last month or so due to our dollar falling (when it was <0.90USD). The Audeze prices, after you account for all the differences in taxes/shipping/USD costs etc., are still about 5-10% higher than the US which is about right since most things cost more here usually. The OPPO price is >35% higher here.

May 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,863 of 2,563

I always confused the Oppo PM-1 with the KEF M500...

Anyone see what I'm seeing?

Whats missing is the comparison in size.

yeah now they look so much alike, right?

The over all aesthetics are kinda similar, but with so many headphones on the market, you're bound to have some look similar to others.
Still though the KEF are on-ear and the Oppo are over-ear, and you can even tell just by looking at them that the build quality of the PM-1 is a lot better than the M500.
(I have no idea about SQ though. I have never heard the M500.)
So other than the fact that they both have oval cup design and a flat headband, they aren't even close to being similar to each other.

May 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,864 of 2,563
Looks like Sea Captains prefer the KEF

May 14, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,865 of 2,563

It's the LCD3 that costs that here not the LCDX and it has only gone up to that price in the last month or so due to our dollar falling (when it was <0.90USD). The Audeze prices, after you account for all the differences in taxes/shipping/USD costs etc., are still about 5-10% higher than the US which is about right since most things cost more here usually. The OPPO price is >35% higher here.

Whoops my bad, the LCDX is $2200 odd.

May 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,866 of 2,563
Honestly, it's as if none of these guys ever studied microeconomics.

Sadly I didn't - it wasn't a compulsory subject here in Australian high school curriculum (year 7-12). Enlighten us on why the PM-1 needs to be nearly twice the cost for Europeans and the british? I can understand the Australian pricing based on GST, Import Duty, Import Taxes, shipping etc.

EDIT: Sorry, double posted by accident...

May 14, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,867 of 2,563
Sadly I didn't - it wasn't a compulsory subject here in Australian high school curriculum (year 7-12). Enlighten us on why the PM-1 needs to be nearly twice the cost for Europeans and the british? I can understand the Australian pricing based on GST, Import Duty, Import Taxes, shipping etc.

I didn't mean y'all. In fact, I agree with you. I meant firms and governments.

May 14, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,868 of 2,563

Not sure what your comparing it to, but the VAT on imported goods in europe is higher than our GST right?  And Oppo is chinese, with the digital arm in the USA, so there's just as much shipping from either location to Europe, so all your reasonings for Aussie prices should be equivalent there.

I've heard similar things about Grado being ridiculously overpriced in Europe due to VAT and the like.  Everyone outside of Europe is jealous of the cheaper AKG, Senn, Beyerdynamic over there too, so you win some and lose some I guess (sadly Australia seems to lose all of them T_T)

May 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #1,869 of 2,563

You aussies are so backward. Here, enlighten yourself with some good ol' American knowhow: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/economics/14-01sc-principles-of-microeconomics-fall-2011/unit-1-supply-and-demand/introduction-to-microeconomics/

May 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,870 of 2,563

>35% wow. Learn something new every day. And I'm guessing it'll be hard to find an international seller with reasonable shipping price.

May 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,871 of 2,563
>35% wow. Learn something new every day. And I'm guessing it'll be hard to find an international seller with reasonable shipping price.

Yes it is hard, in places like Europe/UK it is even worse than here. In the US, OPPO sell it direct only and not to addresses outside the US and there are no other retailers that sell it. However, OPPO say now they will sell it to overseas counties in the near future, so we shall wait and see.

Not me though, when I saw the pricing of these, I thought, ***** this for a bad joke and got myself a LCD3 (the price of which was starting to go up here due to our dollar falling). Coming from an HE-400, I was looking to upgrade to the HE-560 or the PM-1, the HE-560 has been delayed and as good as the PM-1 is/looks, I don't think it will lay a glove on the LCD3 sound wise. I always wanted to get the LCD3, love its very sweet sound.

May 16, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,872 of 2,563
^It has been stated on the forum more than once how to buy the PM-1 direct from Oppo Digital Inc in the USA for overseas buyers via their offline order form. Not sure how it would seem like a bad joke since the PM-1 are an extremely high quality HP with very accurate sound and a laundry list of good features. :wink:

May 16, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,873 of 2,563
^It has been stated on the forum more than once how to buy the PM-1 direct from Oppo Digital Inc in the USA for overseas buyers via their offline order form. Not sure how it would seem like a bad joke since the PM-1 are an extremely high quality HP with very accurate sound and a laundry list of good features.
wink.gif

It's still not really clear to me how that works and I don't know if anyone's tried it yet.

I took his point to be that, at the time of release, it cost over $1500 and he thought it would make more sense to spend more on LCD3.

May 16, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #1,874 of 2,563
^It has been stated on the forum more than once how to buy the PM-1 direct from Oppo Digital Inc in the USA for overseas buyers via their offline order form. Not sure how it would seem like a bad joke since the PM-1 are an extremely high quality HP with very accurate sound and a laundry list of good features.
wink.gif

That only happened in the last week after people started complaining and they modified their offline order form and put in place special conditions. Good that they did.

The bad joke I was referring to was the $1,099USD price and the $1,699AUD price and even higher prices around the world. I and others didn't find that funny, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back