Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Jan 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,021 of 2,563
  I really didn't think much of it when they were targeting a December '13 release and just hadn't come out with pricing when we first started talking about this, but to be nearly half way into January and still no word? I'm resisting the urge to consider that a red flag.

Perhaps they want to be sure that they have enough manufactured so that when they open the gates, they can meet the potential demand. They can announce the price just prior to "opening day". Or maybe we just made too big a deal out of it and they were not expecting it
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,023 of 2,563
This hp is clean, nice build. But I'm all about sound. If it's on par with Hifiman at justified price or better I will definitely use them on the go even due to not bulky size

currently walking around with a DT 880 on my head :3, sounds is sufficently nice even in a loud ish enviorment 

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,024 of 2,563
Just waiting on actual release of the Oppo headphone, and impressions. Just wanna see how good it is, and what it compares to sound-wise. Bitching about price at this point is pointless.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,027 of 2,563
  Impressions from CES by Brent Butterworth:

http://stereos.about.com/od/Audio-Shows/ss/CES-2014-New-Audiophile-Headphones.htm

thanks.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #1,029 of 2,563
Jan 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,031 of 2,563
The PM-1 designer has a company - BG Radia - that produces cinema-style loudspeakers.   Price information is hard to find on those loudspeakers, but they look to be on the expensive side, on the order of B&W both for their floor-standing models and their in-walls. 

I think it is interesting how Oppo chose to have the designer be interviewed about the PM-1 at CES.  This is a nod towards a high-end audio product.  Let's see how they sound and measure.  

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,033 of 2,563
The idea of an NC planar sounds incredibly interesting.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,034 of 2,563
"The oval shape makes the PM-1 comfortably light. "It's not like strapping giant buckets to your head," Levitsky quipped."

LOL!

I'll probably read the reviews, but for the $1000 range, I'll probably lean towards this one. Unless the HE-560 blows it away. I can see the shootouts already...

Jan 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,035 of 2,563
  "The oval shape makes the PM-1 comfortably light. "It's not like strapping giant buckets to your head," Levitsky quipped."

LOL!

I'll probably read the reviews, but for the $1000 range, I'll probably lean towards this one. Unless the HE-560 blows it away. I can see the shootouts already...

Yeah the new HFM line as well as this Oppo piece are both going into the new generation of planar magnetic cans - significantly lighter-weight and ergonomic, as well as being even easier to drive, while still improving upon sound quality. The golden age of this headphone transducer tech is yet to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back