Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #796 of 2,563
I think everyone is now expecting the PM-1 to sound like the Voice Of God. Can Oppo live up to this long thread of high expectations? I hope we are all brought back down to earth with a fine sounding $500 planar magnetic...

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #797 of 2,563
  I think everyone is now expecting the PM-1 to sound like the Voice Of God. Can Oppo live up to this long thread of high expectations? I hope we are all brought back down to earth with a fine sounding $500 planar magnetic...

I predict it'll sound good and there will be a ton of debate of whether it's better/worse than every other ortho. As usual, some head-fier's will rank it based solely on the price. If it's priced at the lower end, some will call it a {insert manufacturer name here}-killer that punches above its weight class.  If it's priced at the high-end, it will be called a flagship or wildly-overpriced.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #798 of 2,563
You've obviously done your homework
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #799 of 2,563

Funny, I recall the Voice Of God was actually so powerful it would kill or drive mad any human who heard it.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #800 of 2,563

Funny, I recall the Voice Of God was actually so powerful it would kill or drive mad any human who heard it.

And who had the misfortune of letting you know this ?
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #802 of 2,563

o2smile.gif
An Exodus 20 moment ain't happening, short of a HUGE amp/speaker rig for Dolby® Atmos™.  What I am expecting is a headset good enough for serious studio work, and I've every reason thus far to reckon that Oppo® will deliver such a headset in the PM-1.  If they can deliver it for on or around $500.00, so much the better.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #803 of 2,563

We're headed there and we haven't even heard it...

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #804 of 2,563
I have just found this thread by accident like all the best are. I can attest if nobody has done it already that Oppo do manufacture some of the best Blyray/SACD players at there and are committed to bring the best bang for dollar products to the end user. They have an excellent reputation for listening to customers concerns or to features asked for being added. I look to this headphone as being a very special product upon release.

Again if not previously mentioned is that Oppo will also release an accompanying Amp for this phone.
OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier

https://www.oppodigital.com/future/HA-1_Headphone_Amplifier.aspx

Amplifier-HA-1.png

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #807 of 2,563
Planar magnetic headphones, DAC and headphone amplifier. What next? Given their experience in the digital realm, I won't be surprise if they venture into portable DAP.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #808 of 2,563
Since the HA-1 is balanced I'm really hoping the PM-1 comes with a balanced cable ( or at least is available from Oppo) so that I could use this with my Mjolnir without paying crazy prices for an aftermarket cable

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #809 of 2,563
Planar magnetic headphones, DAC and headphone amplifier. What next? Given their experience in the digital realm, I won't be surprise if they venture into portable DAP.

I was very surprised when I first heard of this addition. Their last and current High spec Bluray player added a headphone socket because of demand. This is what I like and admire about this company, if enough people want something they listen and deliver. Ask Sony for something see what happens.
mad.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #810 of 2,563

+1

When I'm ready for a new player, I dont' even bother doing research anymore...I just buy the current OPPO product. There aren't many companies/products I can say that about. 

Could not agree more. If people here are perhaps turned off by a new unheard of company making yet another product purely for profit then pother no more. Oppo is rare for it puts the customer first and respects the notion  that if you listen to your customer base they will reward you with sales and repeat patronage. Great products which are well made and deliver in the performance arena time and time again. Venture into any AV forum and see what owners have to say about their players. This headphone will be very special and priced accordingly. I will say around $700 give or take. It just screams quality deriving by the images and will have a fantastic matching sound. No one yet has made an expensive phone that produced irrational sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back