Oppo or NAD c542/515 as transport?
Feb 18, 2008 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MGLDyson

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I want to get around using my PC as a source. Running the PC is noisy and it's not bit-perfect (Running Foobar SSRC through Creative ASIO output). Mainly it is noisy. So I would like to get a transport.

I don't want to spend a lot, right off, as I already have a really nice DAC and only need a transport. I'll go for the badass CDP with killer DAC later. I know the Oppo is around 150-200USD new and the NADs go for something like 250-300USD used. So would it be worth the money to get the NAD instead of the Oppo or would the difference be so small I could save the extra cash and feed my family?

Fishing for thoughts,
Dyson

(By family, I mean me, btw)

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 11
I see no reason why you would use a C542 purely as transport. Choose the cheaper option.
The C542 should be used with its DAC, not without. I can barely hear the difference between it and my Apogee Mini-Dac, so I consider the C542 to be excellent value, but not as a transport alone. That's a waste.

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 11
im in the same boat as OP but im using them as a standalone CD player connected to an amp. My budget is abit lower around $100ish. Any particular model i should be looking for?

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 11
The C542 sounds friggin fantastic for its price and to me represents a night and day difference compared to portable sources. I've never used my computer as a proper source however so I can't comment on differences there. Two thumbs up from me.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 11
The oppo is excellent as a transport. John Atkinson at Stereophile tested the 970, and found the error correction to be one of the best he'd ever tested, although he did find that the digital output always truncated to 16 bits. I don't know if this was a faulty unit or if the other Oppo players have this issue. I have an oppo 981 that I am going to mod to use as a universal transport for my DAC1, when the twisted pear S/PDIF transmitter board arrives. I'll report back in a month or so when it's done. Of course the DAC1 is a lot less sensitive to transport quality than some other DACs.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 11
I found a solution and it wasn't one that I even expected to find. I am getting a Sony SCD-2000es which is a 5 CD/SACD carousel player. I am only going to use it as a transport (except for SACD playback). I don't know a whole lot about it except that it has digital outputs (for my VDA-2), space for 5 discs, and plays SACD (which I don't have, but, may now purchase). As long as I am in the price range (below 300) I think it will be a suitable solution. I will update people with what I think if anyone is interested.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 11
I'd be interested in reading about your impressions of the Sony SCD-2000ES + VDA-2 combo. I considered the '2000 myself a while ago, but they don't sell it in Canada.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Well, it has been almost two months since I received my Sony CDP. I must say that I do not have a detailed report on the differences. I did try some cheap A-Bing with my VDA2 using its input selector. I did not volume match as I have no equipment for that. So, I just gave up because I didn't think I could get a fair and accurate representation of the differences between the CDP and my PC as source.

Though, certainly I can perceive the difference that comes from being able to turn off all the excess noise generating equipment in my room (PC mainly). Now that I have a CDP I can leave only my CDP, DAC, and headamp running while I listen to music. I think the benefits should be apparent to most people so I won't go into too much detail about it. The quiet nuances are there. No up-muddying of the spectrum.

Well, if I get to properly A-B the sources I'll leave another note.

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanMad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The oppo is excellent as a transport. John Atkinson at Stereophile tested the 970, and found the error correction to be one of the best he'd ever tested, although he did find that the digital output always truncated to 16 bits.

According to his measurements, it's not so great as a transport... He measured high amounts of jitter from the digital output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Atkinson
"...The jitter level was 4 nanoseconds peak–peak, around 20 times higher than the best playback systems I have measured..."

So, the C542 would have made a better transport, but it would have been overkill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back