Oppo HA-2 vs. iBasso DX90
May 13, 2015 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ReelDeal

Head-Fier
I was looking to add an amp/dac, and pretty much settled on the Oppo. I have an Oppo Bluray player. Love it. I was going to use my Macbook Pro (with Audirvana Plus) and Android phone (with either jetAudio or Onkyo HF Player) as the source. Then, I wondered about a DAP instead. A little more convenient. After research, I think the DX90 sounds like a good unit. (Maybe the FiiO X5) 

What I'm wondering - would there be SQ advantage to the Oppo? Convenience is... well, convenient, but I've always got my phone with me, and most of the time when listening to this setup I'm on my computer. I'd put up with being tethered to either if the SQ was noticeably better. ... I'd be using IEMs (Phonak Audeo PFE 012, for now) or AKG 450 headphones (which are actually more sensitive than the Phonaks). 

I appreciate your input!

May 13, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 12
In the same price range for a dac/amp, you might also look into the JDS Labs C5D and Leckerton UHA-6S MKII.

Also, instead of the DX90, I would get the Fiio X3 and then get better IEMs or headphones. You'll get more bang for your buck putting your money into transducers than into electronics.

May 13, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply... Better IEMs are in my plans. I got the Phonaks b/c it has three different filters with distinct sound signatures. This way, I can decide what type of signature I want when I buy better IEMs. ... I've looked into the JDS Labs unit. It doesn't handle all of the audio formats that the Oppo does. Not sure how much that matters. 

May 14, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 12
I was in the same situation, either get a Oppo HA-2 to pair up my iPod or the DX90. Eventually, i gotten myself the DX90. To be honest, I had not have the chance to try out the HA-2 but I am very satisfied with the DX90's SQ.

Two main reasons among others why I choose the DX90 over HA-2 are :

1. portability : single unit as opposed to stacking.  
2. DX90's battery is removable - I bought an extra battery and also original Samsung Galaxy S3 desktop charger, with 2 batteries - I can go on for hours. 

May 14, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the reply... Better IEMs are in my plans. I got the Phonaks b/c it has three different filters with distinct sound signatures. This way, I can decide what type of signature I want when I buy better IEMs. ... I've looked into the JDS Labs unit. It doesn't handle all of the audio formats that the Oppo does. Not sure how much that matters. 

The audio science people on Head-Fi will tell you not to bother with the DSD format. It doesn't really offer you measureable audible benefits. But it will part you from some extra money :wink:

May 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 12
The audio science people on Head-Fi will tell you not to bother with the DSD format. It doesn't really offer you measureable audible benefits. But it will part you from some extra money
wink.gif

I wondered about that. Still seems like the Oppo is great deal, for not much more. I know I love my Oppo Bluray player. Feel like it far exceeds its price. 

May 14, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 12
I know I love my Oppo Bluray player. Feel like it far exceeds its price. 

Marketing is very effective at doing that, isn't it? Just ask all the Beats headphone owners :wink:

I'm not saying that the HA-2 is bad. I'm sure it's quite good. But could be the other options are better. There's a lot of hype in the audio world that is based on subjective impressions that are influenced by expectation bias. Hard to know what is better without measurements to compare.

May 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 12
Totally agree with the power of marketing. (My example is usually Bose) In this case, I have the Oppo BP and know how good it is. And, I made my decision to buy it based on several comparisons citing measurements. So, it is a case of having trust in the company, based on experience. 

May 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 12
I hope I didn't give the impression I don't like Oppo as a brand. I was really interested in their phone, but got the Nexus 6 just because I can get it through my carrier. And I'd be all over the PM-3 if it wasn't for people reporting the ear cups are a bit small (I have a big head).

May 14, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 12
No, I didn't take it as a knock on Oppo. I totally agree that marketing can have a big effect. I was just saying, in the case of Oppo, I have some objective basis for my opinion. All good! I really appreciate your input.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 12
Thread livening.  I have same options.  However, I really need to hear my phone when being called or notified.  Tried having a DAP, but listening to it on my commutes makes me miss calls and texts to my phone.  So my choice is HA-2, same DAC as DX90 and can still be notified with calls/texts

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 12
On other option... I missed a call recently b/c I was listening through my computer. I installed an app on my phone that flashes the light/flash when I get a call or text. Just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back