Oppo HA-2 SE
Dec 20, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #79 of 369
Anyone using the SE with a pair of IEM's?
Reason for asking is that I have bought the HA-2 back in September.
The first thing I got to notice was that perpetual noise when listening to music with my UE-11 at low levels.
So does the SE perform better in that aspect? Would it be worth upgrading to have that fixed?

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #80 of 369
Anyone using the SE with a pair of IEM's?
Reason for asking is that I have bought the HA-2 back in September.
The first thing I got to notice was that perpetual noise when listening to music with my UE-11 at low levels.
So does the SE perform better in that aspect? Would it be worth upgrading to have that fixed?

The amplifier in the SE is much more quite than the HA-2. With my ultra sensitive SE846 (9 Ohms of impedance and 114 dB/mW sensitivity), the noise has not been eliminated, but it is noticeably much much quieter.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #81 of 369

Totally agree, as far as I'm concerned the SE version has a black noise floor compared to the original with my Westone's and other cheaper IEM's..  The HA-2SE is the best 300.00 decision I've made in audio in a long time.  It's a great PC dac/amp and works just fine with my portable rig with an iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2.

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #82 of 369
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need some help.

I am expecting delivery of the Oppo HA-2SE along with a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless headphones. Apart from using the Oppo with the headphones, I intend to use it as an external DAC for my audio system which consist of KEF e305 surround hooked up to a Marantz NR1606 slimline receiver. I also ordered an Audioquest 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable in order to connect the Oppo with my receiver. The reason for that is because I expect the Oppo to sound better due to having a superior chip (ESS Saber) to the one used in the Marantz (which is a Burr Brown 1690). I would then bypass the receiver's digital processing through its PURE DIRECT mode and use it only to amplify the signal.

I also have a Sony flagship Android TV (KD-65ZD9) which runs on Android 6.0. I would like to know whether it's possible to connect the Oppo to my tv using a micro USB to USB cable and use the Oppo as an external DAC for my TV? Since the tv is essentially an Android device, I suppose it's not impossible for it to output sound via USB. This is the only possible connection in order to use Oppo as a DAC between the TV and my sound system (due to lack of other inputs on the HA-2SE). Or perhaps an optical out to micro USB adapter if such a device exists?

Opinions?

Thank you.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #83 of 369
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need some help.

I am expecting delivery of the Oppo HA-2SE along with a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 wireless headphones. Apart from using the Oppo with the headphones, I intend to use it as an external DAC for my audio system which consist of KEF e305 surround hooked up to a Marantz NR1606 slimline receiver. I also ordered an Audioquest 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable in order to connect the Oppo with my receiver. The reason for that is because I expect the Oppo to sound better due to having a superior chip (ESS Saber) to the one used in the Marantz (which is a Burr Brown 1690). I would then bypass the receiver's digital processing through its PURE DIRECT mode and use it only to amplify the signal.

I also have a Sony flagship Android TV (KD-65ZD9) which runs on Android 6.0. I would like to know whether it's possible to connect the Oppo to my tv using a micro USB to USB cable and use the Oppo as an external DAC for my TV? Since the tv is essentially an Android device, I suppose it's not impossible for it to output sound via USB. This is the only possible connection in order to use Oppo as a DAC between the TV and my sound system (due to lack of other inputs on the HA-2SE). Or perhaps an optical out to micro USB adapter if such a device exists?

Opinions?

Thank you.

I might be wrong but I believe you can't use a DAC with wireless headphones, since the wireless part of their functionality requires that they have a DAC within the actual headphones, so they could convert the Bluetooth signal to actual audio out of your headphones. Furthermore since it is your phone or DAP that is transmitting the signal to your headphones, and not the OPPO, I'm not even sure the the OPPO will be playing any role at all in that scenario.

Not sure about your TV set up esp since I'm not familiar at all with Android TVs.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #84 of 369
The B&W P7 wireless can be used as wired headphones as well, and that's how I'll be using them with the HA-2SE.

Being the Swiss Army knife it is, I will be using the HA-2SE as an external DAC for my speaker system as well (provided it gives better sound than my Marantz NR1606 receiver).

The final piece of the puzzle is using the HA-2SD with my Android tv, and this is something I have yet to discover. I have no idea how to connect the tv to the Oppo.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #85 of 369
I know HeadFi doesn't like posting the same question in various forums, but you may want to ask this question in the older Oppo HA -2.
There are a lot more posts, and I presume, users there.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #86 of 369
Thanks for the tip, will do so.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #87 of 369
I just got mine today. It sounds pretty decent. I'm using it with my iPhone 7 and I've been trying to listen to music and make it charge my phone while itself is being charged. Is there any way to achieve so?

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #88 of 369
I asked CS at Oppo this question just a few days ago and they said:

"Yes, you will just need to press and hold the BATTERY button on the side of the HA-2 until the top most LED glows BLUE. The HA-2SE will now charge the iPod as you use it.
This will of course lower the battery life of the HA-2SE as the battery is being used for both powering the HA-2SE and iPod."

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #89 of 369
I asked CS at Oppo this question just a few days ago and they said:

"Yes, you will just need to press and hold the BATTERY button on the side of the HA-2 until the top most LED glows BLUE. The HA-2SE will now charge the iPod as you use it.

This will of course lower the battery life of the HA-2SE as the battery is being used for both powering the HA-2SE and iPod."

Thanks for the info but I tried it and it didn't work. After holding the power button, the blue light glowed and it started to charge my phone but the sound cut off. It seems like it can't do both at the same time.

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #90 of 369
Thanks for the info but I tried it and it didn't work. After holding the power button, the blue light glowed and it started to charge my phone but the sound cut off. It seems like it can't do both at the same time.

I was planning on ordering this Oppo DAC / amp on Tuesday and this was one of the reasons it seemed so worthwhile. The Oppo has much more battery power than my iPod and if I could extend the iPod's play time by using some Oppo battery power, GREAT!
I guess I will need to contact Oppo CS Tuesday and ask them to confirm that BOTH should be playing even if the other device (iPod in my case) is taking battery power from the HA-2SE.

I read Oppo's reply to this very question as "the battery is being used for BOTH powering theHA-2SE and iPod"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back