Oppo DV-983H - It's finally out!
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

HiWire

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey gang,

I just happened to check the Oppo website a minute ago - they've finally added the 983!

It looks pretty good - I guess I'd be picking one of these up if I had a decent TV - or a TV at all. We'll see how long it takes for the modders to get working on this one...

HiWire

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 37
Nice.

I recall the earlier Oppo models needed to be modded to run on 240v. Good to see removable power cables and "Wide range universal power supply (~100V-240V, 50/60Hz AC)". Should make it more accessible. I haven't really been following their product offerings tho, so not sure how long they've been doing universal power supplies - maybe it's not a new thing.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 37
Now the true question is whether they left the test points in next to the dac
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Maybe you can tell from the photos?

Edit: Oh wait, they don't have hi-res shots of the circuitry.

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

biggrin.gif

question: I presume you're interested in test point access so you can do a little I2S tapping?

BTW, if you're not specifically focused on I2S; but are looking to access the 983's Mediatek processor digital output for use with your own DAC of choice: you can access the PCM via HDMI.

As with the 980H, Oppo has confirmed that the 983H outputs the following via HDMI:

CD @ 16/44.1
hardware-decoded HDCD @ 20/44.1 (thank you Oppo!)
DSD converted to PCM @ 24/88.2
DVD-A up to 24/192

I've been enjoying 20/44.1 hardware-decoded HDCD from my 980H to my DAC-o-the-moment and computer audio interface...... now just waiting for high-quality DACs with HDMI interfaces to make it somewhat less convoluted than the current hardware solution.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 37
Yes, it remains to be seen whether manufacturers think it's worthwhile to add HDMI to their DACs. As a child of the digital age - it makes sense to me. HDMI is the format of the future, since the older digital outputs (SPDIF, I2S, etc.) have no DRM/copy-protection. I don't know if HDMI output would add or subtract from a transport's inherent jitter.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 37
I'll be getting one once I get settled in my new place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by emmodad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
question: I presume you're interested in test point access so you can do a little I2S tapping?

BTW, if you're not specifically focused on I2S; but are looking to access the 983's Mediatek processor digital output for use with your own DAC of choice: you can access the PCM via HDMI.

As with the 980H, Oppo has confirmed that the 983H outputs the following via HDMI:

CD @ 16/44.1
hardware-decoded HDCD @ 20/44.1 (thank you Oppo!)
DSD converted to PCM @ 24/88.2
DVD-A up to 24/192

I've been enjoying 20/44.1 hardware-decoded HDCD from my 980H to my DAC-o-the-moment and computer audio interface...... now just waiting for high-quality DACs with HDMI interfaces to make it somewhat less convoluted than the current hardware solution.

Yes, I am interested in the I2S points to output out to my DAC. In particular I want to have true digital out of the SACD audio
smily_headphones1.gif
I am currently looking at the oppo 981 for this purpose, but if the 983 can do it too, I will definitely pick it up.

What are you using to process/access the PCM stream inside the HDMI? The licensing fees for HDMI have been rather cost-prohibitive
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Yes, I am interested in the I2S points to output out to my DAC. In particular I want to have true digital out of the SACD audio
smily_headphones1.gif
I am currently looking at the oppo 981 for this purpose, but if the 983 can do it too, I will definitely pick it up.

What are you using to process/access the PCM stream inside the HDMI? The licensing fees for HDMI have been rather cost-prohibitive
frown.gif

1/ DSD, Oppo have confirmed that the 983H unfortunately does not provide the DSD stream over HDMI, only the 24/88.2 PCM downsampled version.

2/ PCM stream:

Oppo HDMI > Atlona AT-HDMI-DVI ---> vid out: DVI ---> video destination
Oppo HDMI > Atlona AT-HDMI-DVI ---> aud out: SPDIF coax ---> audio destination

several options wrt the HDCP-compliant video destination: HDCP-compliant HDTV's DVI input; HDfury > PC monitor; others. Of course you must have the video destination powered on.

This works w/ 24/192; if you only want up to 24/96, gefen makes some HDMI-DVI converter products (audio: TOS and IIRC coax outputs on various products). However, as of a short time ago, gefen steadfastly refused to confirm if their products will correctly pass 24/192. I even had time with a VP and he came back only with an "official" response that they "meet SPDIF spec..." Perhaps this was simply putting a stoic face on time until they are 24/192-confirmed....

Another option is a receiver with HDCP-compliant HDMI input which provides a dig out; I didn't investigate this path as my interest was to use my own choice of downstream audio equipment. However, IIRC I've seen postings that such creatures exist, think they were very high-end / pricey.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 37
See, I was expecting DSD stream via HDMI, not PCM conversion
frown.gif

The ABT upscaler was the big feature people were waiting for, so no longer will an outboard upscaler be needed.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 37
Looks like it would be analog-out for me, then.

It wasn't really a deal-breaker, in my opinion, since I didn't plan on buying an outboard DAC. The improved picture quality is important, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back