Oppo BDP-93 now shipping!!
Dec 21, 2010 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

akart

100+ Head-Fier
Looks like the Oppo BDP-93 is finally shipping. I would love to have impressions about this player and also generally about other Oppo players from people who own one. I am planning to get one for my audio listening.

Here is the link: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 26
i wonder when they will introduce SE of BDP-93 (if at all).

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 26
I think BDP-95 is the "SE" version of BDP-93. And their website says Feb 2011.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 26
The 95 is totally different design all around, nothing like the 93. However the 95 for it's price was just a little more than I needed as all I wanted was a music server "have to use a sata or usb drive for storage", blu ray player, upscaling dvd player and be able to stream netflix on wireless N so ordered in the BDP-93! Not here quite yet but cannot wait. Been an oppo customer for years, and as I posted on another thread, an oppo customer for life as their customer service is simply amazing!

This one box will replaced my Xbox360 which I use for streaming netflix, my PS3 which I used for blu ray "selling it on ebay / cecha01 for those that know what that is" and my oppo 981hd which I used for an upscaling dvd player and will replace my zune dock as well *LOL* Really clears up the entertainment center :) Will just have the 360 for games now, the received and a few other goodies!

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 26
The 93 or the coming 95?

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 26
95 is the audiophile version with Sabre dac & Toroidal transformer. As an owner of the 83-SE - I'd say go for 95 if you're planning on SACD/DVD-A playback. Otherwise the 93 is the best deal (maybe run through your Dac of choice).

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 26
The problem with SACD is that one can't use an external DAC. So if I have a great external DAC, it is useless and I have to use Oppo's internal DAC.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 26
you could use external DAC with SACD playback, you would have to select DSD->PCM (and multichannel->2ch dowmix in case of records with 6 channels) conversion in player and send it to DAC via coaxial or toslink.

EDIT: i just remembered that above is valid for HDMI connection, i'm not sure about S/PDIF. someone with BDP-93 or BDP-83 would have to confirm it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
The problem with SACD is that one can't use an external DAC. So if I have a great external DAC, it is useless and I have to use Oppo's internal DAC.

Only via HDMI I believe. SPDIF can´t hold that much information?

As for SACD I need to do more testing but I believe my 99$ Sony BDP-370 outperform my Audio GD Ref 9 also on my solid state amps when running SACD vs CD.  CD vs CD the Ref9 is clearly better though.

I don´t have my 83se with me so I can do a direct comparison though audio memory doesn´t tell me it´s better for SACD. As with the Ref9 a bit better with CD. Though if I run my magic tube that makes everything sound good the 370 sound identical to the Ref9 for CD as well but not on my solid states. 83se was more different in it´s sonic signature.

As for the price I would be heavilly surprised if the 95 is below 1000$. Around these parts I expect something closer to 2000$ for a region free package.
All in all the oppos aren´t really bang for buck solutions I have to say. My monitor is not reference so keep that in mind but the DVD upscaling is about equal on the 83se and the sony. Bluray always look good unless you enable a lot of filters to destroy the source. I will have to think thrice about ev getting a 95 or similar. I will have to experiment converting FLAC to Wav in the mean time. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
SPDIF can´t hold that much information?

i think it has to do with SACD restrictions, iirc S/PDIF outputs are shutdown when player detects SACD disc. coaxial output has enough bandwith for 24/192 PCM 2-channel mix, so given Oppo abilities in conversion and downmixing, in theory it's capable of transmiting SACD content via S/PDIF as PCM.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 26
Any digital output from SACD can only be obtained from HDMI. Not any other port. Here is the email from Oppo:

XXX,

Due to DRM SACD DSD or as a PCM conversion will not pass through digital coaxial or optical. You must use HDMI or analog.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
- Hide quoted text -

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 12/31/2010 3:22 PM
To: OPPO Service