Oppo bdp-105 vs a dedicated standalone DAC
Jun 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PinkFlag

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new DAC and wondering how the DAC in the BDP105 stands against a dedicated DAC such as the Gungnir, Audio GD DAC-19, NFB-1, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1, and others in the price range of these DACs.
Those are some of the DACs I'm also interested in.
I ask because I'm wondering if it's worth spending 1k on the Oppo; I do have a CD/SACD collection, but as a DAC, how does the Oppo perform, because I would primarily, not entirely of course, be using it as a DAC.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 3
I had my BDP-105 for over a year. At the time I thought it was the most important and one of the highest performing pieces of equipment in my 2 channel system. I do think it was one of the best purchases I've made for stereo or theater use. I used all of its functionality from USB DAC, network DSD streaming, SACD player, Youtube, Netflix, and most importantly its capability to stream video from my server. 

Then I got an LH Labs Geek Pulse. I immediately sold the BDP-105. The BDP-105 DAC is simply not as good as the LH Labs Geek Pulse (single ended). As a stand alone DAC, I don't think the BDP-105 is as good as people think. It is certainly good, but you can find much better if you look in the right place. When taking into account the other features that the BDP-105 offers, its value is very difficult to match. However, as a DAC only, you can find much better and I would suggest you look elsewhere unless you intend to use its other features as well.

For reference, aside from the DACs, my system is an Audio-GD Master 10 and Focal Electra 1028 Be speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back