oppo bdp 105 how good does it work as a digital preamp
Jan 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

buson160man

1000+ Head-Fier
  I have just picked up a new pair of emotiva airmotiv 6 active speakers and was wondering how good the preamp stage is in the new oppo bdp105 universal player.I presently have a peachtree decco 2 that I am using as a dac/preamp and I was wondering how the preamp stage in the oppo player would compare to the peachtree preamp stage.I have been thinking about another preamp dac around a thousand dollars as my budget limit.The decco 2 is not bad when you upgrade the fuse and power cord like I have.
 i also have a pair of emotiva activ 5s since september and are using them with my decco 2 as a computer desk top sound system and the 5s sound pretty swell in that capacity.But I was looking for something with a bit more drive than my 5s for living room duty.So
I need another preamp for my living room system.Any opinions on the preamp capability of the oppo bdp 105 would be appreciated.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 9
I just got the BDP-105 as well. I have the Schiit Mjolnir on it's way and I'll be using the 105 as the dac. There isn't much out there on the 105's dac performance. I use the HDMI from the 105 to my Emotiva pre/pro for movies but I'm be using the XLR outs on the 105 to the Schiit. I'm exited to here the difference from my Fiio E9K / 17. Hopefully its very noticeable. Time to save up for some LCD-3's.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I'm also using the BDP-105 with the Mjolnir, it's a VERY good setup!

Do you use the "Pure Audio" when your listening to CD/SACD's, I'm assuming your using the XLR's from Oppo to Mjolnir. Any tips as I have not used my Oppo yet?
Thanks

I saw your profile and it looks like you've tried just about everything. I just started this headphone hobby this Christmas after getting the Fiio's and MTH-M50's. Are there any other options value wise for me to explore other than 105 to Mjolnir to LCD-3's? Or am I getting as good as it gets without spending $$$.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Have a similar question, Oppo 103 and pre/pro vs. Oppo 105 and Emotiva Stealth 8s or amp/speakers.

I  have the stealth eights and I have been breaking them in but I have been using a audio research ls2 mk II as a preamp. I initially had some reservations about its abilities but those reservations have been going away. Unfortunately my ls2 mk II has only single ended inputs  so I can not run completely balanced from my dac to the stealth eights. But at least I can from the preamp. But I am liking whT I am hearing from the stealth speakers. My video sound has never sounded this good before.

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 9
    I have just picked up a new pair of emotiva airmotiv 6 active speakers and was wondering how good the preamp stage is in the new oppo bdp105 universal player.I presently have a peachtree decco 2 that I am using as a dac/preamp and I was wondering how the preamp stage in the oppo player would compare to the peachtree preamp stage.I have been thinking about another preamp dac around a thousand dollars as my budget limit.The decco 2 is not bad when you upgrade the fuse and power cord like I have.
 i also have a pair of emotiva activ 5s since september and are using them with my decco 2 as a computer desk top sound system and the 5s sound pretty swell in that capacity.But I was looking for something with a bit more drive than my 5s for living room duty.So
I need another preamp for my living room system.Any opinions on the preamp capability of the oppo bdp 105 would be appreciated.

The 105's variable-out is far more transparent than the speakers you'll be using it with. Good luck.

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 9
 I have moved on from my emotive airmotiv sixes. I have bought a pair of the emotive stealth eights which is their top model at least for now.
The eights have been breaking in and they are sounding better these days. I read a review comparing them to a much more expensive krk unit .
 The people reviewing it were apparently engineers or something like that. They were both impressed by the new stealth eights but they preferred the more present presentation of the krk on classical and jazz material. I am not familiar with the krk monitors but from what I am hearing from my stealth speakers I am enjoying them. There is a body and excitement that is surprising for their size. I used to have a pair of b&w 683 floorstanders in a much larger cabinet and the bass on these emotivas goes down quite a bit lower and with much more weight.
  Of course having 400 watts rms does not hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back