Oppo BD105D built in DAC as good as most stand-alone DACs?
Aug 30, 2014 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kim Kiddo

New Head-Fier
I've been reading up on the new Oppo BD105D Blu-Ray players which can apparently be used as a high quality DAC for other components with digital outputs. One consideration is I'd really like to minimize the space my rig takes up, but not at the expense of sound quality.

So can anyone tell me how good the BD105 DAC is compared to a stand alone say up to the 2k range?

Would it be wiser save the money and go with the BD103D and then purchase a separate stand-alone DAC for my other toys?

Hope this is the right forum for this...

Kim

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5
for a headphone set up - if it was me ill go separates ....  ill ge a nice dac used  and then use a computer or the oppo 103

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 5
I've owned the BDP 105 since release day and have found it to compare quite poorly to standalone DACs. It is possibly on the same level as a CLAS -db or AK120 (both tiny, portable players and both cheaper). It is a good level below DACs such as the Violectric V800 DAC which retails for a bit less where I live.

It is an amazing device that can do/play everything, but I don't think it can compete in audio quality with a decent standalone DAC. If I were to do it all over I would definitely got for the BDP 103 and use the money towards a seperate. Sadly I think most of the extra money for the upgrade is going towards getting the current popular Sabre chips inside rather than too much thought about implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back