Oppo 970 how good is it on SACD playback?
Jan 21, 2007 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

babyoh

100+ Head-Fier
How good is the 970 on SACD playback? I've seen some hi-end manufacturers using it for demo at CES. Can it beat dedicated redbook CDP costing up to $5k? Thanks!

027.jpg

Jan 22, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 16
Bump....requesting answer to OP's question (sorta).

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 16
A little off thread. please forgive!
While I have no experience with stand alone transports other than the OPPO, I can say, the OPPO 971H, it is the equal, if not better than several cards I had in my comp rig. These include a Zemo modded EMU 404 and a Irondreamer modded RME DigiPad 8, among others. A price/point comparsion is far in its favor considering its video features, which speak for itself, and of course including the initial cost!
All subject comparison is based on music riped and and transfered to disc using the same encoding and using the same set up. PPX3 SLAM, dAck1, HD 580
FWIW, YMMV.
is my pleasure!

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 16
Of the very limited experience I've had with SACD players, they are capable of outperforming dedicated CD players of the same price, but do struggle against more expensive units. A rule of thumb that seemed to work with what I've heard is that they were "about" (VERY rough view) the equivalent of a CD player costing twice as much.
So unless that Oppo has been seriously worked over, I'd doubt if it would trouble a £5k CDP.

Jan 22, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Jan 27, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 16
They're shockingly good stock, but throw a few select mods into them and . . . WOW. I have a modded 970, and it beat a stock Esoteric UX-1 (13,000) in my system. FWIW, Reference Audio Mods did the same comparo at Rocky Mountain, and the vast majority of people preferred the modded Oppo.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 16
I have the 970. Will bring it to the March NYC meet. We'll see if anyone's interested in posting some feedback. I can't compare it to anything here, so not much to say. The reason I bought it was to have a region free DVD player to watch Euro & Asian Horror Films that are out of print or not released in region 1.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 16
I had a modded 971H, and while it was detailed the soundstage was very lackluster. It also had a hard edge to the sound, and I ended up selling it. I find my modded Toshiba SD-3960 and Denon players sound much much better, but neither play SACD
mad.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a modded 971H, and while it was detailed the soundstage was very lackluster. It also had a hard edge to the sound, and I ended up selling it. I find my modded Toshiba SD-3960 and Denon players sound much much better, but neither play SACD
mad.gif

for what it's worth, Oppo says the 970HD is better for audio playback. i've never heard the 971H so i can't say.

i did however compare it directly to a Pioneer Elite DV-45A and easily preferred my 970.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 16
I prefer my redbook through my DAC-ah (looks like the OP pic does too, that's an external DAC on top of the Oppo!) but the Oppo's SACD really sounds great and totally quenches my Hi-Def thirst at a very reasonable price. The Beatles' "Love" sounds so amazing. The HDCD and DVD-A isn't bad either, but the SACD is what brings me back (may just be the recordings on HDCD and DVD-A tho). I have a 970HD btw, 971HD doesn't offer SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back