OPPO 83 question.
Jul 4, 2009 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Does the OPPO down mix to two channel audio well? I will be using headphones for BR movies and uncompressed audio. Also, is it a good mid range CDP? I'm looking to upgrade my current source, the PS3.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 19
I would also like to know what people think of the 83. Anyone got a hold of this bad boy yet? Any better than the DV-980H, sound-wise?

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 19
I've had mine for a bit over a month & love it to death as it single-handedly vaulted my HTS from low-end adequacy (in both audio & video) to mid-ranged goodness. I hesitate to get into discussions of whether it is better than other similarly/higher-priced components as I lack the funds to afford such comparisons, but I can definitively say this...the dedicated 2 channel analog outputs are notably better quality than my Oppo 970HD or my previous dedicated CD/SACD player, a Sony SCD-CE 595, which I was perfectly happy with. Bought the Oppo BDP-83 for Blu-Ray & second-to-none Anchor Bay DVD upconversion...the audio improvement was just a nice (& unexpected) bonus.

If you were to put a gun to my head & force me to explain how my dedicated 2-channel (headphone-based) audio has improved, my first response would be improved detail across the audio spectrum and a decrease in sibilance. Other subtle changes are there, but they are difficult to put a finger on. Be sure you check out my sig so you know what equipment I am pairing with the Oppo. YMMV.

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had mine for a bit over a month & love it to death as it single-handedly vaulted my HTS from low-end adequacy (in both audio & video) to mid-ranged goodness. I hesitate to get into discussions of whether it is better than other similarly/higher-priced components as I lack the funds to afford such comparisons, but I can definitively say this...the dedicated 2 channel analog outputs are notably better quality than my Oppo 970HD or my previous dedicated CD/SACD player, a Sony SCD-CE 595, which I was perfectly happy with. Bought the Oppo BDP-83 for Blu-Ray & second-to-none Anchor Bay DVD upconversion...the audio improvement was just a nice (& unexpected) bonus.

If you were to put a gun to my head & force me to explain how my dedicated 2-channel (headphone-based) audio has improved, my first response would be improved detail across the audio spectrum and a decrease in sibilance. Other subtle changes are there, but they are difficult to put a finger on. Be sure you check out my sig so you know what equipment I am pairing with the Oppo. YMMV.

I owned the 595.. I think you just sold me..

Jul 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the 595.. I think you just sold me..

Well worth the $$$ for someone who uses/appreciates its wide-ranging audio/video features. For Blu-ray alone, not worth it. As a "total package" media player, heck yes. It is a pricey component by my typical purchase standards, and I don't regret buying it one bit. I miss the 5 CD carousel on the 595 though!

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Does the OPPO down mix to two channel audio well? I will be using headphones for BR movies and uncompressed audio. Also, is it a good mid range CDP? I'm looking to upgrade my current source, the PS3.

Yes as I guess you read, the Oppo BD-83 ($499) is very good at downmixing HD film, to analog 2ch stereo.

However my Pioneer BDP-09 ($2200) is better at all other analog outs for audio.

If you want check out AVS forum and the Oppo BD-83 threads along with the Pioneer BD-09 thread.

And yes the HD-800s are the best of all my headphones for BD films.

Also what kind of display are you using. If you had you display calibrated for your PS3 and use whiter than white settings, then for sure you will have to tweak your display.

There are two real strengths of the Oppo BD-83.
1. 2ch stereo analog out downmix.
2. Source direct for the video side using BR films (1080P). However the Oppo does a very nice job of upconverting SD films (408i)

ss

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Bought the Oppo BDP-83 for Blu-Ray & second-to-none Anchor Bay DVD upconversion...the audio improvement was just a nice (& unexpected) bonus.

I am surprised you say the BD-83 decreases the sibilance. A lot of folks over on AVS say that if anything the treble is increased with the BD-83. Of course I guess what you are hearing could be a differences in players.

Actuality the Oppo BD-83 uses a D/AC: Two-channel Cirrus CS4398 DAC for Discrete Stereo.
And a Eight-channel CS4382A DAC for Multi-Channel Analog.

What I have found with the BD-83 is a better separation of all the ranges and a much better soundstage, than any of my other SD/HD/BD players.

ss

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am surprised you say the BD-83 decreases the sibilance. A lot of folks over on AVS say that if anything the treble is increased with the BD-83. Of course I guess what you are hearing could be a differences in players.

I know of the AVS forum comments you speak of & I was surprised as well. Aside from ear/placebo effect issues, those comments could simply be the result of the listeners making comparisons with their previous sources, which may have been on the warm side. Although that is clearly speculation, I can say that my Oppo 970HD was very harsh/sibilant, while my Sony was less-so, but still had its moments. To my ear, the Oppo BDP-83 sounds very smooth in comparison. Of course, my using a tube amp may have something to do my BDP-83 comment differences (compared to the AVS forum) as well. My home rig (see sig) seems to have a really nice synergy going on.

Quote:

Actuality the Oppo BD-83 uses a D/AC: Two-channel Cirrus CS4398 DAC for Discrete Stereo.
And a Eight-channel CS4382A DAC for Multi-Channel Analog.

Yes, it is nice that Oppo gave their dedicated stereo outs special treatment, but I currently don't take advantage of the separate multichannel outs. I just send DSD to my AVR via HDMI, although I may fool around with the analogs when I get some better RCA plugs (my current ones are *terrible*).

Quote:

What I have found with the BD-83 is a better separation of all the ranges and a much better soundstage, than any of my other SD/HD/BD players.

Ah! *Those* are the ambugoius differences & was hearing. In particular, I am notoriously bad at describing soundstage differences, so I tend to avoid them....but what you state I agree with. My Grado RS-1s aren't known for there excessively wide soundstage, but I can still hear an subtle increase in openess which is very pleasant.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Yes as I guess you read, the Oppo BD-83 ($499) is very good at downmixing HD film, to analog 2ch stereo.

However my Pioneer BDP-09 ($2200) is better at all other analog outs for audio.

If you want check out AVS forum and the Oppo BD-83 threads along with the Pioneer BD-09 thread.

And yes the HD-800s are the best of all my headphones for BD films.

Also what kind of display are you using. If you had you display calibrated for your PS3 and use whiter than white settings, then for sure you will have to tweak your display.

There are two real strengths of the Oppo BD-83.
1. 2ch stereo analog out downmix.
2. Source direct for the video side using BR films (1080P). However the Oppo does a very nice job of upconverting SD films (408i)

ss

My displays are so, so... 04 Samsung 26inch WS CRT.. 05 720 42inch Sony RPTV. I do need to get a 1080p display. I watched some BR on my fathers 61inch 1080p DLP with my PS3. I was pretty much blown away.. Even though the blacks suck compared to my CRT.

Ilive 15 miles from OPPO. They said I could purchase directly from them. Do the OPPO make a decent CDPer and transport? Don't need a world beat.. Just want a upgrade over my PS3.. My amp is my Yamaha 1800.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

My displays are so, so... 04 Samsung 26inch WS CRT.. 05 720 42inch Sony RPTV. I do need to get a 1080p display. I watched some BR on my fathers 61inch 1080p DLP with my PS3. I was pretty much blown away.. Even though the blacks suck compared to my CRT.

Ilive 15 miles from OPPO. They said I could purchase directly from them. Do the OPPO make a decent CDPer and transport? Don't need a world beat.. Just want a upgrade over my PS3.. My amp is my Yamaha 1800.

If you have the funds, then get yourself a Pioneer 151 or 141(60" plasma). However Pioneer has stopped production of there Plasmas. The black levels are the best there is. And once you setup a 151 or 141 in ISF modes you will blow every other plasma or DLP away. I have posted ISF settings for the 141 using a BD-83 over on AVS, D-Nice has posted settings for the 151 on AVS also.

The only way you can get a Oppo is buy direct from Oppo. Oppo is not sold in stores or from retailers. However you would save the shipping charges by picking one up yourself.

Like I have said the Oppo BD-83 is wonderful for downmixing film audio (DTS HD MA, True HD, LPCM) to 2ch stereo analog out. And its good as a CDPer, but my Pioneer BDP-09 with its 8 Wolfson Audio DACS for analog out blows the Oppo away for everything except 2ch analog stereo film downmix.

If you are going to simply bitstream your audio then the Oppo would be as good as you can get.

ss

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I know of the AVS forum comments you speak of & I was surprised as well. Aside from ear/placebo effect issues, those comments could simply be the result of the listeners making comparisons with their previous sources, which may have been on the warm side. Although that is clearly speculation, I can say that my Oppo 970HD was very harsh/sibilant, while my Sony was less-so, but still had its moments. To my ear, the Oppo BDP-83 sounds very smooth in comparison. Of course, my using a tube amp may have something to do my BDP-83 comment differences (compared to the AVS forum) as well. My home rig (see sig) seems to have a really nice synergy going on.

Yes, it is nice that Oppo gave their dedicated stereo outs special treatment, but I currently don't take advantage of the separate multichannel outs. I just send DSD to my AVR via HDMI, although I may fool around with the analogs when I get some better RCA plugs (my current ones are *terrible*).

Ah! *Those* are the ambugoius differences & was hearing. In particular, I am notoriously bad at describing soundstage differences, so I tend to avoid them....but what you state I agree with. My Grado RS-1s aren't known for there excessively wide soundstage, but I can still hear an subtle increase in openess which is very pleasant.

I am not sure how you are using your headphones for films, but it sounds like you are simply bitstreaming to your AVR and plugging your headphones into your AVR.

There is a big difference when you use the 2ch analog (rca) outs on the Oppo and use interconnect cables to your headphone amp.

And yes I would agree your tube amp should make a difference.
I use a WA6SE maxxed with a Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier and blackgates inside with my HD-800s. And the soundstage is truly amazing along with the high to low ranges of the HD-800s.

ss

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I am not sure how you are using your headphones for films, but it sounds like you are simply bitstreaming to your AVR and plugging your headphones into your AVR.

There is a big difference when you use the 2ch analog (rca) outs on the Oppo and use interconnect cables to your headphone amp.

Perhaps I was unintentionally unclear. To clarify, I don't use my AVR for headphone use. Tube amp only, connected to the Oppo by monoprice RCA cables. My AVR is used for traditional multichannel speaker use, connected to the Oppo by HDMI. I was only making the comment that the multichannel outs are of a different quality level (due to different DACs as you mention) than the dedicated stereo outs, and that I currently don't use multichannel analog outs due to my lack of additional quality RCA cables.

Also, it is no longer the case that you must go through Oppo to get a BDP-83. Amazon started carrying them several days ago (w/ free shipping). Sadly, kool bubba ice is from CA & misses out on the tax/shipping benefits of this.

x2 on the Pioneer 151/141. Top notch displays by any measure. However, if they are too pricey for your blood (as they were for me) I have gotten great results with the larger Samsung Touch-of-Color LCDs (I use a LN52A650). Excellent blacks for an LCD (although not as good at those Pioneers), & a great overall bang-for-buck display.

Jul 11, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #15 of 19
I don't suppose anyone knows what formats it supports via USB? Or if you can do USB to a PC and stream that way? Either way, if there's more positive feedback on the stereo output then I think this will be my next source. Thankfully it'll probably be a couple of months at least, as I predict this thing might be hard to come by for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back