Oppo 105D vs Synology NAS as a transport
May 11, 2016 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PoorAudiophile

New Head-Fier
Dear Fellow members,

I would like to seek your opinion and experience.

My system is composed of Oppo 105d or Cyrus Cdi ==> Chord Hugo ==> Atc Scm40A.

I use the Oppo 105D to read digital files and feed the information to the Chord Hugo through optical connection.
I use Cyrus CDi to read the CD and feed to the Chord Hugo through coax connection.

I ripped a Dire Straits's Brother in Arms CD to wav format and played it on the Oppo. I lost the openness, the timbre and the pace of the Cyrus CDi. The Oppo sounds dull, lifeless, in short digital.

How is that so? I thought that all the Oppo has to do is to read the bits and feed them to the Hugo which does the hard work of converting them to lovely analog signal. In this circumstance, It seems the Hugo is receiving different bits from the Oppo and the Cyrus of the same file.

What is the weakest link? A Linear power source for the Oppo will improve? The internal clock?

Why is the Cyrus CDi so much better?

If I use Synology NAS to feed the Hugo, would it be better than the Oppo?

I don't want to spend more than 400 usd to upgrade my system.

Any suggestion?

Thanks all of you in advance.

Have a good day!

The Poor Audiophile

May 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 9
That does seem a little odd. Some suggestions in case you haven't already tried them:

To truly isolate the problem, the 105D needs to use the same audio chain as the Cyrus. Try the 105D with the coaxial digital cable.

My second thought would be the rip itself. Try the original CD in the 105D. Blind test with a friend between the 105D and Cyrus to remove any cognitive bias.

Good luck.

May 12, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi Fishyee,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, I have tried the connecting the Oppo to Hugo via coax cable and the Cyrus to Hugo via optical cable.
I have also play CD on the Oppo.

I have also a third party to listen blindly.

The conclusion is that the Cyrus has more attack, open stage, timbre and pace than the Oppo.

I have quite a large collection of music in digital files. Having the files read by the Synology NAS and input to the Hugo will improve the sound quality?

What do you think? 

May 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 9

I have quite a large collection of music in digital files. Having the files read by the Synology NAS and input to the Hugo will improve the sound quality?

What do you think? 

I would say a "Conditional" Yes.  I'm not too familiar with the Hugo's connections.  Can it handle the NAS directly?  How will you access and control your music files?

The normal route would be NAS > Computer > Hugo > SCM40A where the computer handles the interface duties.  If you go this route, here is where my "conditional" would kick in - look into room correction software, something like Dirac Live.  You already have great gear (bravo on the SCM40A) and even with a dedicated listening room, Dirac could offer up the goosebumps you are searching for.  Running your music through the computer makes it all possible ...

http://www.dirac.com/home-and-professional-audio/

Just a thought.

May 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks Fishyee for your thoughts.

The Synology NAS has a proprietary app that can play digital files up to res 24/192 and DSD 64 and output the bits to a DAC. As well, there are third party apps such as Minimserver, and potentially Roon.

My questions is how the Synology NAS reading of the music digital files be better than the Oppo's? Because Oppo 105D is meant for Audio while the Synology NAS for universal usage.

Synology NAS is like a computer (Intel or ARM chip) but with limited tasks. Will it be better than computer? I foresee the jitters problem but less than a normal computer.

On your suggestion of the Dirac, how it will works with my existing system? Where will it fit in? Before the DAC or after the DAC?

Chord Hugo DAC has coax, optical, standard USB, HD USB and Aptx bluetooth as input and RCA/headphones as output. The hugo has also volume control knob. 

As well, how much will as Dirac equipment cost? I don't want to spend too much on the upgrade.

What gears do you have?

Cheers

May 12, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a Synology and didn't know they could do that now. Pretty awesome.

You will most likely connect the Synology to the Hugo thru USB. You shouldn't worry too much about jitter since the Hugo will control the USB asynchronously. The Synology will also need an ethernet connection to your wireless router for you to use the app.

Dirac Live is software and needs a computer to run. There are one piece Dirac processors but they are just as expensive as buying a computer and the software. Check out the DDRC-22D.
https://www.minidsp.com/dirac-series/ddrc-22d

Dirac Live essentially corrects the frequency and timing that your room distorts. As you know the room is half the battle. Spend some time on their website ... free trial and $440 for the 2 ch version.

************************************************************************************
I'm in the process of moving but my setup was configured as described below:

- Synology NAS running Raid 1 for redundancy (all my music files live there)
> Ethernet to Apple Wireless Router (for wireless connectivity to Apple Remote and Home Sharing)
> Ethernet to Mac Mini with Dirac Live installed (itunes as the interface)
> Wireworld USB out to Yulong DA8 DAC (handles DAC and preamp duties)
> XLR Belden 1800F to Focal Twin6 Be Monitors (I'm a Focal fanboy)

- Benefits of my configuration (in case you were curious)
1. Control everything from an iphone or ipad
2. Music anywhere / full house connectivity to other Apple devices like Apple TV
3. Invaluable room correction without all the acoustic treatments
4. Sounds WAY better than my old traditional audiophile system for a LOT less money
5. Can access any music file at any time

Hope that helps.

May 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks Fhishyee for your advise.

Focal Twin6 be is a reference monitor, Wow! Good choice.

Res 24/192 and DSD64 on Synology will depend on the model I think.

Dirac Live needs a computer in the information flow which is out of the equation for me. 

1) MiniDSP DDCR-22D looks interesting but way above my budgetc(ddcr 22d +microphone = 1,000 usd). Furthermore, it only outputs up to Res 24/96 and no DSD. There is a limitation.

2) I have made some research and the QNAP HS251+ got a lot of praise. It is said that it is meant to attract audiophile. It play JRiver. And here, the cost would about 1,000 usd  (HS251+ , 2xHDD, Linear power supply, cables, isolation). And well above my budget.

I still have doubt on how the NAS solution can sound better than Oppo 105D which is audiophile dedicated. Can it read the bits better than the Oppo? And so far from the thread, 
I have not got any explanation.

So I would prefer to take a wait and see position and save some money for the next significant upgrade. I'll monitor closely the two options.

In my search, I come across the following gear: http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa661.htm
I am sure that the reading of the bits is super. However, the user interface and connectivity are lacking, I think.
Since I live in Hong Kong and QSL has a dealer there, I will audition it and report to you the finding.

In the meantime enjoy your music and stay healthy.

May 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Before spending money on hardware let's check the software first. When you ripped to WAV are you certain that the ripping process didn't apply any loudness alteration? If it lowered it and you did not match the gain on the amp (or if the amp distorts or piles on noise) then the perception on "openness" will be altered; if it's louder even if you matched the volume there's a tendency for the dynamic range to be affected (ie if the CD wasn't a combatant in the Loudness War before, a ripping process can basically become boot camp for it). 

May 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't think any software room correction does DSD.

Any digital read-and-send should be perfect. Again, I find it odd that the 105D has problems. The Hugo is controlling the data transfer and does the D to A conversion so theoretically you should not hear a difference between the 105D and NAS if both use the same transfer chain.

Good luck and let us know what you decide down the line. I'm curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back