Opinons on the EMU 404 please
Jan 2, 2005 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

perdomot

100+ Head-Fier
I keep seeing this card in peoples sig and I wanted some feedback on it. I have my TBSC hooked up to my Logitech Z-3 2.1 speakers as well has having a digital connection to my home stereo. I also need a good line in since I am converting tapes to mp3s and the 710 bombed out in this regard. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 8
With those speakers.. you wont need such a high-end card. Unless you plan on spending 500+ on a stereo system or buying some Senn 580's or something like that w/ an amp.

Your speakers are not that great, and tapes are not that great. As much as I love the 0404, it sounds too much for you, i'd stick with the tbsc.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Well, he could still be getting a great bang for the buck (reputedly, haven't owned it) source by buying the 0404.

If he wanted to upgrade the rest of his equipment later, he'd already have his source taken care of.

Jan 2, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 8
true, I think the 0404 right now is the best deal in PC sound-card audio. (even beating the 710). I own one, and I love it on my HD580's to death (and my speakers), but for the life of me, i cant recommend it to someone who isnt going to spend at least 200-300 on some cans and an amp. Because you simply probably wont enjoy it sonic potential and I cant see it being worth the 100 online or 108 after tax locally unless you upgrade your audio equipment.

Jan 3, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 8
I agree, the 0404 would be totally wasted on his current setup, but there certainly wouldn't be any HARM, so go for it.

And if you do upgrade, source is there.

Jan 3, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the feedback folks. I do have the digital output connected to my Yamaha receiver with 5 speakers so I think it might be worthwhile. I think I might need an amp though unless my receiver is already doing that. Any good receivers for a newbie to start with?

Jan 3, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by perdomot
Thanks for the feedback folks. I do have the digital output connected to my Yamaha receiver with 5 speakers so I think it might be worthwhile. I think I might need an amp though unless my receiver is already doing that. Any good receivers for a newbie to start with?

Receivers are amps..
Also do you have a sub? the .1 in 5.1
wink.gif

Whats the model/make of your amp?

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Erukian,
No sub yet. Not a big bass guy. The center channel seems pretty good at the lower sounds but I suppose I'll get one eventually. The cost keeps putting me off. My receiver is a Yamaha HTR-5540. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back