Opinions Wanted
Mar 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

subguy812

Reviewer: Audio Rabbit Hole
I have a pair of ATH M50X for an inexpensive closed back. I have 500.00 to spend and would like to know some ideas from the forum. I enjoy my Audio Technicas but would like an upgrade in sq and soundstage. I listen to rock, jazz, blues primarily. I use a Fiio X3 as my dap and flac files. Would you recommend open back or a higher end close back headphone? I could spend more than 500 if I need too.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 17
Depends—what type of sound signature do you prefer? Where will you be using them? Is sound bleed an issue? There's quite a bit you could do with $500 (or very, very little).

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 17
Depends—what type of sound signature do you prefer? Where will you be using them? Is sound bleed an issue? There's quite a bit you could do with $500 (or very, very little).

I prefer more a flat signature. Tight bass(but present) ...slightly forward mids....but for the most part flat. Will use them mostly at home and when walking....not loud commuter environment. I don't have to spend 500 but I have at LEAST that amount. If I can spend less, great.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 17
An open headphone would be an amazing upgrade in soundstage over the M50s. If you go with open headphones, you will hear your environment when walking. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you like to be more cognizant of your surroundings :)

Given your music genres, I would suggest you explore the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 models.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 17
I prefer more a flat signature. Tight bass(but present) ...slightly forward mids....but for the most part flat. Will use them mostly at home and when walking....not loud commuter environment. I don't have to spend 500 but I have at LEAST that amount. If I can spend less, great.

AD900X 
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 17

Sennheiser HD 598. 
cool.gif

Yeah, not a bad option. But i found that the bass response is slightly inferior to the 900X..something to consider. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 17
I own or have owned every headphone mentioned so far, aside from the 900x, and I've got to warn that none of the Senns will sound very good without a great source. You're used to some dynamic, efficient cans and you probably won't be able to walk around with them and have them sound like their potential.

Open is definitely the way to go for a wide soundstage, though. They're a little lean on the low end, but what about the Shure 1440? Open back, neutral Shure sound, great mids, efficient, durable and well within budget.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 17
I don't have experience with it but Headfonia wasn't impressed with the X3 driving big phones. Lacks dynamics. (So they say, at least, and I'm inclined to believe them)

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 17
I don't have experience with it but Headfonia wasn't impressed with the X3 driving big phones. Lacks dynamics. (So they say, at least, and I'm inclined to believe them)

I'm always suspicious of Headfonia. Sometimes they are reliable. Sometimes not.

There's plenty of people that are discussing the X3. Seems easy enough to ask there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm always suspicious of Headfonia. Sometimes they are reliable. Sometimes not.

There's plenty of people that are discussing the X3. Seems easy enough to ask there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread

Thanks.....I will say that I have really enjoyed my X3. I enjoy the sound and its ability to be used as a DAC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back