Opinions wanted on a couple computer speaker systems
Apr 8, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Umm... no they don't.
confused.gif

Unless you think that screechy highs and absent mids with an incredibly over-run subwoofer is 'audiophile grade'.

Those systems are not designed to sound good with the separate components i.e. satelite speakers with the subwoofer. They are designed to be as cheap as possible while still making a large profit. The subwoofers in these systems in no way are matched to the speakers they are both driving and providing the bass for, and 'audiophile grade' sound never comes outside of a computer anyway, regardless of the speakers the sound is output to! (Unless, of course, your soundcard is of the music production type - and neither his nor yours is).

Conventional soundcards already suffer from a lack of midrange and terrible highs - why heighten this characteristic any more?

You haven't heard the Acoustic Energies Aego 2, have you =P

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #32 of 56
I was browsing around the the zhaolu website and came across these speakers.

http://www.zhaolu.com/news.htm

http://www.audio100.com/1/95.htm

I have no idea on the price but eddie might know.
http://www.diykits.com.hk/

The speakers do look good,if they sound anything like there dac then it should be a winner.
biggrin.gif

This is some info on the speaker translated

Morning dew A200W Hi-Fi sound box

Specification
After 2 sound tracks but actually type

Loudspeaker unit
1 "the transparent silk membrane ball goes against the treble ×2
5 "the long stroke spreads the bay paper cone bass ×2

Frequency range
55Hz - 20KHz

Power (RMS)
50W

Single box outward appearance size
190×320×260mm

Packing size
450×331×375mm

Gross weight
16Kg

Note
* 115 millimeter ultra big magnet steel 5 inches 中低音, the single body weight reaches 2.1Kg
* In steady outward appearance, 18 + 15mm density board
* The hand spreads the import damping rubber
* PVC + imitates the imitation leather to paste the skin
* Gold-plating wiring column
* Big line diameter hollow inductance

Attachment
Product handbook detailed introduction

Retail price

680.00 Yuan (contain transport expense)

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerWilco
I was browsing around the the zhaolu website and came across these speakers.

If these are Asian speakers (they are). i guarantee you, they're crap. SOme great products come out of Asia, but speakers are NOT one of them.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

I think that was more than curt, but maybe I'm just sensitive.

You're REALLY sensative...
rolleyes.gif

You can get $100-300 speakers that sound better than any similarly-priced "computer/multimedia speakers" hands down. I've owned a pair of the Klipsch 5.1s, the Logitech 4.1s, and the Logitech 5.1s. They were all garbage. I just got an independent source and got rid of the speakers. They weren't worth my time - countless malfunctions, terrible sound (even for the money), and poor design philosophy.

I don't think you've heard what even a cheap bookshelf speaker can do compared to your multimedia speaker systems. Athena speakers are priced about the same as all the "high-end" multimedia computer speakers, but crush the hell out of them.

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

You're REALLY sensative...
rolleyes.gif

Maybe, but the alternative hypothesis is that you need to get to work on improving those social skills.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

I don't think you've heard what even a cheap bookshelf speaker can do compared to your multimedia speaker systems.

Please stop making assumption like this. Most of the Klipsch equipment I've listened to were reference/professional dedicated components. In fact, I've heard a lot of bookshelf speakers... many cheap one, and several goods ones. Really cheap speakers sound just that (cheap). There are a lot of good sub $300 bookshelf speakers out there, but most of those are not competing with the ProMedias; even cheap $300/pair bookshelf speakers + cheap receiver/amp + soundcard is going to way overshooting the 5.1's price.

Will really nice hifi speakers, a good receiver, and a good source beat out computer speakers? Yes, of course. Will any such system be near the price bracket of the ProMedia's? No, not if you're looking for really significant SQ improvement. Of course, I'd argue that any run-o-the-mill pc, good dedicated DAC, headphone amp and set of headphones would give the aforementioned hifi speaker system a real run for its money at a fraction of the price... but then I don't guess that would receiver many objections on head-fi.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

EDIT: "If I don't have nothen nice to say..."

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by angler31337
Maybe, but the alternative hypothesis is that you need to get to work on improving those social skills.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Please stop making assumption like this. Most of the Klipsch equipment I've listened to were reference/professional dedicated components. In fact, I've heard a lot of bookshelf speakers... many cheap one, and several goods ones. Really cheap speakers sound just that (cheap). There are a lot of good sub $300 bookshelf speakers out there, but most of those are not competing with the ProMedias; even cheap $300/pair bookshelf speakers + cheap receiver/amp + soundcard is going to way overshooting the 5.1's price.

Will really nice hifi speakers, a good receiver, and a good source beat out computer speakers? Yes, of course. Will any such system be near the price bracket of the ProMedia's? No, not if you're looking for really significant SQ improvement. Of course, I'd argue that any run-o-the-mill pc, good dedicated DAC, headphone amp and set of headphones would give the aforementioned hifi speaker system a real run for its money at a fraction of the price... but then I don't guess that would receiver many objections on head-fi.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

EDIT: "If I don't have nothen nice to say..."

I suppose we could just plug our ears and pretend to enjoy for the sake of sensativity. Personally, I prefer reality. True, in general, bookshelf speakers outperform computer speakers. But compare $300 Sony or Yamaha speakers to $300 Athena, Energy, Paradym, Boston, Klipsch, etc...and you might have to join me in the real world.

Apr 9, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

There are a lot of good sub $300 bookshelf speakers out there, but most of those are not competing with the ProMedias; even cheap $300/pair bookshelf speakers + cheap receiver/amp + soundcard is going to way overshooting the 5.1's price.

Especially true since the Ultra 5.1 are now $199 at best buy. I honestly dont know how to setup a 5 bookshelf + sub system for that price, not to mention the receiver.

Apr 9, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #38 of 56
treu. But Geepondy was asking about a 2.1 or 2.0 system. Not a 5.1 So that's moot.

BTW, it's also true that "friends don't let friends buy Bose." They are overpriced. For the same money you can find much better sounding speakers.

Apr 10, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Don't talk to me about social skills. I'm a New Yorker.
wink.gif

Quote:

My assumptions have merit. You speak as if you've never heard real speakers before.

I guarantee you a pair of these http://audioadvisor.com/store/produc...0Black,%20Pair would sound better than the Pro-Medias. How can I do this? I've heard both of them! Both of them on a computer, for that matter, on the same sound card!

Multimedia speakers, even the Klipsch ones, run under a bad design philosophy - they have satelites that do really shrill highs, a bass that makes a bunch of noise, and no midrange, thinking that the general public will believe that the bass and the treble will contrast each other to make one unified midrange.

Sorry, but I won't go for that.

At least sub-$300 bookshelf speakers will produce ONE audio range faithfully! No computer multimedia speaker system I've heard can even do that. I wouldn't recommend using a $300 speaker for hi-fi either, though.

Apr 10, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

You can always tell a downstate'er...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, though, you all could wear a person out. I've listened to a lot of speakers, I've owned a lot of speakers, I listened to a wide range of music on those speakers, I've compared those speakers to Klipch ProMedia systems and I've found the comparison favorable in most comparably priced match-ups. I'm sorry that my findings don't agree with yours, but please don't ask me to come back to reality. As a died-in-the-wool empiricist and one of the few people on here who really tries to always conduct volume normalized, source matched A/B testing before making claims, I take "reality" very seriously. Rational people can disagree, and I guess that's what's happening here.

I've said everything there is to say on this already, so I guess I'll just quote myself:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler31337
There are a lot of good sub $300 bookshelf speakers out there, but most of those are not competing with the ProMedias; even cheap $300/pair bookshelf speakers + cheap receiver/amp + soundcard is going to way overshooting the 5.1's price [much less the 2.1's].

-Angler
600smile.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #41 of 56
The ProMedia 2.1 are one bad set of speakers.Sure they are better than almost every other pc speakers but they simple get kicked even by my Panasonic Bookshelves with Morel drivers.
They sound too tiny,thin and bright . BRIGHT ! BRIGHT ! Bright! like Grados !

Get the ProMedia if you like BOSE like , GRADO like BRIGTH sound.

BTW,i think of Grado as the soundwize headphone equivalent of BOSE.Sparkly mids and lower treble !

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #42 of 56
I'm very happy with my ProMedia 2.1s.
I have them connected to the RCA outs
of my M-Audio audiophile 2496 sound card.

If you're worried about too much bass there's
a seperate volume knob for the sub.

Quote:

wink.gif

That explains things...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #44 of 56
Apr 17, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #45 of 56
I am being a devils advocate here
very_evil_smiley.gif

Speakers:
Speakers

Amp:
Amplifier

All under $300, and from all that is spoken should demolish the sound quality of most, if not all computer speakers.

Now for under $200

Speakers:
speakers

Amp:
amplifier

So the theory that you need soo much more money to better the computer speakers has been politely challenged.

I have never heard any of these mind you, but I have not read anything bad about them especially for the money.

I agree with Aman. Take your time and source a seperate amp and speaker and get the important spectrum of the audio at least decent.

I myself got some Mission M30is and a Mirage NanoSub, that for $240 used with a vintage reciever that will probably cost you $50, gives good sound hat is worth it. I could have gone with the M31i or 32i that sold for $150 a pair on Amazon a few months ago and forgone the sub and easily spend less than $200 total and get great sound.

Studio monitors, are also worth looking into, as there are some designs that, though not regarded as studio quality, can do quite well in these situations and cost $200 - $300. Monitors

For convenience, the computer speakers, are great. But if sound quality is paramount over convenience, then you can get better for cheap as shown above.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back