Opinions ~ The best medium sized closed phones?
Nov 6, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

viper32

100+ Head-Fier
I have the hd-650's and love them, I would like to get some closed phones that I can use on the go.

I would like to get something as close as possible to the 650's for sound if I can. Medium sized, and comfotable, with a little higher impeadance somewhere above 100 ohms for noise floor reasons. I will use a nice portable amp to power them.

BTW: I was looking at the Ultrasone HFI-650, they seem like a good cantidate. Anyone listen to them?

Any help would be nice.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 12
I've used the 650 DVDs in the same capacity you're intending, and I thought they worked fine. They sound very good for the price and the cups are smallish, at least. They do fold up nicely, so they're small to pack, too. The band is pretty big on your head, though.

I've only used the Senn 600s, but I wouldn't call the Ultrasone's sound near to them at all. How that translates to their similarities to the 650s I'll leave to others.

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Unless I'm mistaken, Beyer's DT250-250's have been said to have a sonic signature similar to that of HD600's. But if you need a lot of isolation, I don't think they will deliver.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 12
I guess I should also clarify, that isolation is a key factor. I do not want cannal phones though. I understand that nothing is going to match the 650's but I thought it would be a good reference for what listen to now.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 12
Ditto Sigma

The HD25's are an excellent pair of closed cans.

I have the HD650's for late night listening at home... but when I'm on the go I prefer to use my HD25's over my ER6i's...

Nov 7, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper32
I would like to get something as close as possible to the 650's for sound if I can. Medium sized, and comfotable, with a little higher impeadance somewhere above 100 ohms for noise floor reasons. I will use a nice portable amp to power them.

The Senn HD 25-1 is a good choice. They are under 100 ohms and are easy to drive. I don't think signal noise would be an issue. They isolate well and are small enough to carry around easily. The issue that may bother you is that they have no soundstage.

Nov 7, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Well it sounds like the HD-25's have to be a cantidate for this task. Any thoughts on the HD-250-II headphones, anyone know what they sound like. Out of these two whitch is the clear winner if any. Also I am still open to other cans as well.

I don't have anywhere arround here that I can go an listen to any high end phones. I think the closest place would be about 150mi and the selection is low.

Thanks Again

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Unless I'm mistaken, Beyer's DT250-250's have been said to have a sonic signature similar to that of HD600's. But if you need a lot of isolation, I don't think they will deliver.

Seconded. The HD25 has much more similarity to the Grado sound than the HD650, apparently.

Nov 7, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Actually, the HD25 is quite a bit different from Grados. It's the most Grado-ey of all Senn phones I've heard, but it's still closer in tonal signature to the HD650 than it is to any grado.

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Bose TriPorts?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey, don't flame me - they are medium-sized closed phones!
biggrin.gif
and they DO isolate marvelously
biggrin.gif

Wash your mouth out young man!
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back