Opinions please :)
Apr 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #32 of 51
I tried out the AD700 headphones a while ago, and they leak a lot of sound. Your roommates will be able to hear everything you're listening to.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vhobhstr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried out the AD700 headphones a while ago, and they leak a lot of sound. Your roommates will be able to hear everything you're listening to.

and all open back headphones will do the same too
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #35 of 51
Okay I just found out that my dad is willing to lend me his personal amp, it's a little old but I think its called the zana duex. Would this be able to up the 600's potential or should I just get some AD700s and leave before I end up buying 1000 headphones and 22 amps :p

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to the same old stock ipod headphones for the past year or so and they've just broke into two pieces. Now I'm looking forward to buying new headphones to replace my old ones. EDIT: yes I did use these for computer rofl. I couldnt use iems because I live on residence and I need to be able to hear what my room mates are doing.

After lurking your forums for a few months I've decided on the following cans based on musical preferences and what I'm going to use them for on a daily basis. I won't be using an amp and the source would most probably be the on board sound card : Asus Xonar STX.

These are the cans that I've narrowed it down to:
Sennheiser HD580 w/ 650 grilles and 650 cable
Sennheiser HD600 What are the differences between the 600s and the 580 jubilee?
Audio-Technica AD700
Beyerdynamic DT770/880

I will using these headphones exclusively for the purposes of playing Counter-Strike 1.6 and Music. My musical taste is very broad so I can find myself listening to rock (pink floyd/beatles/ the smiths), alternative (arctic monkeys), techno (vibrasphere), hiphop (kid cudi), jazz (herbie hancock) on any given day.

Thanks

BTW my budget is $250.

Definitely go with . . .Sennheiser HD580 w/ 650 grilles and 650 cable

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I just found out that my dad is willing to lend me his personal amp, it's a little old but I think its called the zana duex. Would this be able to up the 600's potential or should I just get some AD700s and leave before I end up buying 1000 headphones and 22 amps :p

The Zana Deux should definitely be able to show the 600's potential.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 51
If you truly like a wide range of music, I would recommend AGAINST:
1) Sennheiser HD580, 600, 650
2) Beyerdynamic DT770

These all have certain types of music in mind and trying to listen to say electronica on the sennheisers is like having a root canal without anastesia, strapped into a chair and a hungry lion gnawing at your limbs, a monkey gouging out your eyes and a hyena laughing hysterically in the background. -You just don't do it.

The dt880's are a bit more balanced but still not a great overall performer. I still prefer grados as overall music performers. But I'm afraid I really can't comment on their use in terms of gaming. I suggest grabbing a pair of SR60's (cheaper than the ad700's in the forums), and trying them out for a couple of weeks. Afterwards come back with either -I love the grado sound ... so what's next or with an FS/FT grado's, I want AD700's thread.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #39 of 51
Just a tip, Long and McQuade sells dt990pro at the absurdly cheap price of CAD180 before tax. You definitely need an amp though. Its the same as premium 990, just tighter and not as cool looking.

Canada computers sells Creative Aurvana Live! for 79 or so. IF they are indeed just like denon d1001, which a lot of people say they are, then its a pretty good bargain.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #41 of 51
Oh ****. Yeah it makes sense because my dad is a sound/electrical engineer but I didn't know he spent his money on stuff like this because I usually see him wearing Beats by Dr Dre Studio headphones and that's it...
confused_face(1).gif

I heard Grados suck for gaming. I think I'm going to ask for a Grado RS-2 for Christmas but for now I just want some decent cans to game with and to listen to music. I mostly listen to rock anyway and if need be I'll just put on my Ultimate Ears if the hiphop/electronica songs sound like crap.

I know for a fact that the 580s are good for gaming/jazz/alt but the only thing that's stopping me from buying them are the rave gaming reviews for the DT880s and the AD700s. I just want to know the differences between these. If the differences are low then I'll get the Sennheisers but if there are crucial differences then I will decide on a different set of headphones. I know the Beyers excel at Jazz and for rock music it was so so.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #43 of 51
I've never actually seen the amp. My parents are divorced and I'm not really close to my dad so I really don't give a damn about what he uses. He did buy me the Ultimate 10s when I complained about the ipod earphones but I just thought that he wanted to beat whatever my mom was getting me. But other than that nothing head fi at all.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #44 of 51
I own AD700 and have owned DT880 for a short while. There is simply no comparison, the AD700 is MUCH more accurate as to where your enemies are.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #45 of 51
The only headphone i can think of is the beyerdynamic dt 48 and is a headphone with no eq because it offers to the most serious audiophiles at this price point for a headphone excellent..

Go read... Beyerdynamic DT48 praise .

I used the dt 48 e 200 ohm with the stx with the eq set to bass because the headphone does not have it's own eq switched on so a headphone with eq switched off...and the bass is fine..this headphone offers a true blue sound where so many get it wrong.

I prefer the dt 48 it sounds like your timbres are not under a veil and sounds like reality.

Much faster then the beats and the more expensive stax headphones costing higher then £1000/$1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back